Softpedia Editor's Review for LAME MP3 Encoder
Probably the best MP3 encoder
Written by Ciprian Paius on January 27th, 2012
LAME MP3 Encoder is one of the applications that is used to encode audio to MP3 files so they take far less storage space. It does that using three different compression methods.
The CBR method can be used if you want to keep a constant bitrate all over the audio file and get a predictable size of the output file. You should use this only if you need to maintain compatibility with streaming applications and hardware-based decoders that only support this compression type, otherwise it's not advisable due to the large size of the output file.
The VBR method is the most commonly used encoding type and it can compress files keeping a user defined quality level instead of a bitrate, thus allowing LAME MP3 Encoder to dynamically change bitrates depending on the complexity of the audio file. Use the Variable Bitrate method to get the smallest size for encoded files while keeping the desired quality.
And finally the ABR method, which is a combination between the above mentioned and offers encoding capabilities using the smallest possible bitrate needed to encode the file while keeping the bitrate relatively to the user defined value. Use this to get a smaller size MP3 file than the CBR encoding method offers and still preserve the bitrate to a desired target.
The application uses the Command Line interface to encode audio files so make sure you read the information in the package or the Command Line Help before getting to work. The commands are quite simple and use the following pattern: lame [options] [outputfile], where options refer to the encoding method and bitrate or quality.
LAME MP3 Encoder also enables you adjust input and operational options, noise sharpening and psycho acoustic algorithms, filter options, verbosity, ID3 tag information or MP3 header and stream options.
So if you are a professional audio encoder, LAME MP3 Encoder offers you the tools you need to compress audio files and still keep the quality you are comfortable with. All you need is a little patience to get a notion of the commands you have to use.
LAME MP3 Encoder description
Here are some key features of "LAME MP3 Encoder":
· Many improvements in quality in speed over ISO reference software.
· MPEG1,2 and 2.5 layer III encoding.
· CBR (constant bitrate) and two types of variable bitrate, VBR and ABR.
· Encoding engine can be compiled as a shared library (Linux/UNIX), DLL , Directshow filter or ACM codec (Windows).
· Free format encoding and decoding.
· GPSYCHO: a GPL'd psycho acoustic and noise shaping model.
· Powerful and easy to use presets.
· Quality better than all other encoders at most bitrates.
· Fast! Encodes faster than real time on a PII 266 at highest quality mode.
· MP3x: a GTK/X-Window MP3 frame analyzer for both .mp3 and unencoded audio files.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· autotools: Fix compilation on alpha using proper ifdef guards. Thanks to Andres Mejia.
· Small correction of the documentation.
· Workaround for cygwin build problem. Tracker item [ 3480692 ] mingw-w64 compilation error
· Fix for a problem when LAME is compiled with fast floating point math. It could result in bitrate bloat with silent input data.
· Bug fix for tracker item [ 3486753 ] Artifacts at the beginning of decoded file