Softpedia Editor's Review for Lame Front-End
Graphical interface for the popular and very fast MP3 encoder & decoder - LAME
Written by Elena Opris on January 28th, 2013
Lame Front-End represents a graphical interface for LAME, the well-known MP3 encoder and decoder. It can be easily worked with.
The interface of the application is clean and intuitive. Adding files to the list can be done with the help of either the file browser or 'drag and drop' functionality. Handling multiple items simultaneously is possible.
The file queue displays the type, name and location of each entry. Once you specify the output directory, you can proceed with the encoding/decoding procedure, by using the default settings.
Skilled users can tinker with the audio options in regard to the encoding algorithm quality, bit rate, quality and channel mode, among others.
In addition, you can make Lame Front-End automatically exit when all tasks are done. Other features of the app let you modify ID3v2 tags. From the 'Options' tab you can specify the LAME.EXE location, integrate the app into the Explorer context menu, as well as delete all Windows Registry keys created by the program. Settings can be saved to file or restored to their default values.
Lame Front-End supports multiple languages for the interface, has a good response time and quickly finishes a task while using a low amount of CPU and system memory. No error dialogs have occurred during our evaluation and Lame Front-End did not freeze or crash. The output tracks have a good audio quality. Thanks to the simple and expert modes, Lame Front-End can be handled by both first-time and advanced users.
Lame Front-End description
Here are some key features of "Lame Front-End":
· Converting WAV, PCM, AIFF, RAW files to MP3 (encoding)
· Converting MP3, MP2, MP1 files to WAV (decoding)
· Two modes: Simple for beginners, Expert for advanced users
· Saving ID3v2 tags in the MP3 files
· Integration with the Windows Explorer. Program adds a command Open with Lame Front-End to the context menu for supported files
· Saving and loading LAME parameters
· Small, easy to use and don't need any installation
· Supported languages: english, polish, chinese, french, german, italian, japanese, russian, swedish
· LAME (included in program folder)
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· New version of the LAME encoder (3.99.5).
· Support for new languages: Traditional Chinese, Hungarian and Spanish.
· Small source code modifications.