Softpedia Editor's Review for Monkey's Audio
A fast and powerfull lossless audio compressor that can compress digital music
Written by Elena Opris on January 24th, 2012
Read an in-depth analysis in our professional review for Monkey's Audio
Monkey's Audio is a software that allows you to easily compress WAV files, in order to preserve space on your hard drive or external drives.
The user interface consists of a standard window in which you can add files and folders to the queue by using the file browser or the "drag and drop" method (batch processing is supported).
So, you can select a mode (compress, decompress, verify, convert, make APLs) and method (fast, normal, high, extra high, insane, external).
In the list you can view the path, extension, original size, output size, time and status for each file. But you can also check out the total size, time and free disk space, in the status bar, as well as view file information.
In the "Options" menu, you can configure processing settings (number of simultaneous files, processing priority, quick or full verification, stop processing after encountering an error, play sound on completion, show popup windows for external plugins) and output settings (directory, behavior after success and if output exists, use source file's time stamp for the new file).
The program uses a very low amount of system resources and manages to significantly reduce the size of WAV files, while keeping an excellent sound quality. There's also a step-by-step guide available for first-time users.
All in all, Monkey's Audio is an excellent tool for compressing WAV files. We haven't come across any problems during our tests and highly recommend this software to all users.
Monkey's Audio description
Here are some key features of "Monkey's Audio":
· Efficient (fast and great compression) - Monkey's Audio is highly optimized and highly efficient.
· Perfect sound - absolutely no quality loss, meaning it sounds perfect and decompresses perfect (it's lossless!
· Media Center, Winamp, and more support - supported by many popular players and rippers.
· Easy - the Windows environment interface is both powerful and easy to use
· Error detection - Monkey's Audio incorporates redundant CRC's to ensure proper decompression of data (errors never go unnoticed).
· Tagging support - Monkey's Audio uses its own extremely flexible APE Tags so you can easily manage and catalogue your Monkey's Audio collection.
· External coder support - you can use Monkey's Audio as a front-end for all of your encoding needs.
· Freely available source code, simple SDK and non-restrictive licensing - other developers can easily use Monkey's Audio in their own programs - and there are no evil restrictive licensing agreements.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· NEW: Switched from MMX to SSE assembly, making compression and decompression faster.
· NEW: Switched to latest Microsoft compiler, making everything around 5% faster.
· Changed: Removed support for old Monkey's Audio 3.92 and earlier files (it hasn't been possible to make these files for over ten years -- use an old copy of Monkey's Audio to convert these files to the latest format if you have any).
· Changed: Fixed a few compiler warnings.
· Changed: Removed dependence on third-party NASM assembly compiler in favor of intrinsics (which compile nicely with all major compilers).
· Changed: Put all Monkey's Audio source code into a namespace APE so that linking into third-party projects should never have name collisions.v
· Changed: Switched from #ifndef/endif to #pragma once (now supported by any reasonable compiler).