| User Rating:
Very Good (4.1/5)
Softpedia Editor's Review for SAM DJ (formerly SAM Party DJ)
Professional DJ software for those serious about music
Written by Elena Opris on January 18th, 2013
SAM Party DJ is a reliable application that comes bundled with professional tools designed for audio mixing.
Upon initiating the software, follow a quick wizard in which you can add audio files to the media library, default special effects and demo files, as well as select playback and recording audio devices.
The interface may seem overwhelming to beginners, since the software is mainly developed for advanced users. SAM Party DJ includes features such as beat matching, instant song search, and album cover support.
Several components are visible in the user interface: two decks, auxiliary, clock, fade control, sound effects, voice effects, voice-tracking, queue, history, playlist, and tracks in selected category, but you can also enable the option to view of video display and event log.
First you have to organize music into specific categories (create them in the playlist window). Music can be added via the drag and drop method, from queue, or from other categories.
Songs can be organized according to their type (from the right-click menu), and these include normal song, karaoke, station ID, promo, jingle, and advertisements.
The playlist is configured by setting Playlist Rotation Rules from the Config window in File menu. If you leave the usage of ghost queue enabled, SAM Party DJ will cache the next song into its memory, thus making the loading faster.
In Configuration, you can change preferences for the audio mixer pipeline, cross-fading, gap killer, playlist rotation rules, and general settings. The playlist rotation logic module is either based on web scripting, clock wheel (category rotation), or on weight.
Unfortunately, the program's online help page mainly focuses on the organizational aspect of SAM Party DJ, so if you do not have basic experience in audio mixing, it will be very difficult for you to learn how to use this application.
The program uses a medium amount of system resources, and it did not cause any errors during our tests. We strongly recommend SAM Party DJ to power users.
SAM DJ (formerly SAM Party DJ) description
Here are some key features of "SAM DJ (formerly SAM Party DJ)":
- Dual player decks - cue up the next song while the current song is playing
- Crossfader, gap killer, beat matching and volume normalization will make you sound like a true professional!
- Karaoke support.
- VoiceFX and SoundFX modules allows you to talk or play sound effects over music.
- Handles large music libraries with ease - 50,000+ tracks without breaking a sweat...
- Full drag&drop management to make your life easy. Sort your songs into various categories.
- And much more advanced features you won't find anywhere else!
- CPU: 1 GHz (2 GHz recommended)
- RAM: 1 GB (2 GB recommended)
- 100 MB free disk space + enough space for all your music files
- Sound card: professional quality recommended
- Licensing bug fixes
- Additional graphic format support added for album art and other features. (*.png)
- Fix for very large mp3 files not showing duration
- Automatic Reactivation for expiring keys
- Fix for SAM sticking decks bug
- Fix for process priority being set to invalid states in Windows NT 6.x
- Fix for failed activations due to invalid home path
- Updated 2013 splash screen graphics
- Better looking activation screen.
- Much improved manual activation process
- Code-signed EXE with updated certificate
- Copyright message year updated to 2013
- Fix a SAM freeze bug
- Fix activation issue where directory does not exist yet to store license file
- Windows 8 compatibility
- All new product key and activation system
- Improved stability in multi-CPU environments