Softpedia Editor's Review for Express Scribe
Audio transcription software for typists supporting foot pedal controls
Written by Mihaela Citea on February 23rd, 2012
Express Scribe is an easy to use application designed to help typists easily transcript audio recordings.
It can help them easily control the audio playback using foot pedals controllers or keyboard hotkeys. For example, the program can be set to play the audio file with pausing, enabling you to review your typing.
When installing the application, it offers to add third party software that can change the settings of your web browser. Besides that, the program provides you with an easy to use interface, which makes it suitable for any kind of user.
To start using it, you just have to open the desired dictation file. The application supports multiple file formats, both audio and video: MP3, WAV, MPEG, OGG, RM, AVI, FLV and so on. Furthermore, it can also open audio CD tracks, which is useful for writing down song lyrics.
Express Scribe can be set to automatically download recordings from your network, email or the Internet, which is useful if you are a professional typist that constantly receives tasks. Moreover, for each dictation file, you can set deadlines and bookmarks.
If the opened file is in video format, you have the possibility to preview it as you type. In addition to this, you can improve the sound quality by performing background noise reduction or volume boost. Also, the application enables you to set the sound device and adjust the sound clarity.
One feature that makes this software notable is the possibility to automatically create a draft transcript using speech recognition.
The notes you make can be saved as a DCT or a plain text file, which you can forward as an email attachment, upload on a FTP server or save on a local network computer. In order to protect your work, you can encrypt the dictation file.
Express Scribe is designed to help typists enhance the transcription experience, providing a high playback control and multiple features to help you easily manage dictation files.
Express Scribe description
Here are some key features of "Express Scribe":
· Variable speed (constant pitch) playback
· Supports a variety of foot pedal controls
· Ability to Dock portable recorders to load recordings
· Supports direct integration with Express Delegate
· Uses systemwide HotKeys so you can control playback when using other software
· Automatically receives and loads files by FTP, email, Express Delegate or a computer network
· Automatically sends typing to the person who dictated the work
· Sound Card
· Speakers or headset
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Fixed the 'Main Window' dialog. The 'Pause', 'Rewind' and 'Fast-forward' buttons work wrong.
· Fixed after using 'Fast Forward' option at the end of recording, the 'Playback Position' slider begins work wrong.
· Fixed Express scribe crashing issue (Mountain Lion)
· Fixed Scribe is expanding from dock twice.
· Fixed playing position slider works bad when playing at 100% speed.
· Done the 'Additional Columns' feature does not work.
· Added the 'Always On Top' mode for Scribe Mini.
· Fixed Scribe always uses own Template.doc even when user specified another document as default.
· Fixed when installation over previous version system-wide hot-keys are lost.
· Fixed when increasing the speed of dictation to anything more than 100%, i.e. 110%, it will cut off the beginning/end of words making the dictation choppy instead of flowing
· Fixed audio problem that occured when speeding up recordings
· Fixed Scribe crashes while adding foot pedal in free version after trial expiring
· Fixed when y...
Users are advised to pay attention while installing this ad-supported application:
· Offers to change the homepage for web browsers installed in the system
· Offers to change the default search engine for web browsers installed in the system
· Offers to download or install software or components (such as browser toolbars) that the program does not require to fully function