Softpedia Editor's Review for Songbird
A media player supporting podcast, radio, library, music stores and much more
Written by Elena Opris on February 1st, 2012
Read an in-depth analysis in our professional review for Songbird
Similar to iTunes, Songbird is a program that you can use to listen to music and radio. You can even import and export audio tracks from and to iTunes.
The user interface of the media player is eye-catching and intuitive. After you have imported files, you can access music, videos and downloads in the Library.
So, you can view the title, time, artist, album, genre and rating for each song and video, as well as the tile, artist, album, source, details and status for each download.
In addition, you can create playlists and view the highest rated, recently added and recently played songs, view artwork, as well as use the "Undo" and "Redo" buttons, a search function and an equalizer.
But you can also set a song or all of them to repeat mode, toggle between main player and mini player mode, select the interface language and theme, change the media view (filter pane, list), switch to full screen mode, zoom in and out, select the page style and character encoding, use keyboard shortcuts and more.
The software uses a moderate-to-high amount of system resources and contains a FAQ page (which is incomplete). We haven't come across any problems during our tests. Since even novices can easily use Songbird, we highly recommend it.
Here are some key features of "Songbird":
· Add media to Songbird by importing from your file system or iTunes.
· Songbird supports MP3, FLAC, and Vorbis on all platforms; WMA and WMA DRM on Windows; and AAC and Fairplay on Windows and Mac.
· Songbird now uses GStreamer as our main media playback system, across all platforms.
· Create dynamic playlists that automatically update based on criteria you set.
· Songbird includes an integrated web browser with features like bookmarking, tabbed browsing, and more.
· Over 25 completed, community-contributed localizations and growing!
· Quickly setup Songbird for the first time.
· Make Songbird your own by choosing from dozens of different skins feathers.
· Browse, organize, sort and search your media.
· Songbird's device support is limited. The Device Support wiki has additional details about what's supported. Apple iPhones, iPod Touch and Microsoft Zune devices are not yet supported.
· Songbird supports reading from and writing metadata to many music file formats. We still need to support the ability to fetch additional metadata from popular lookup services.
· Display the currently playing track's album art and write new artwork back to the file. We still need to support album art fetching.
Performance & Stability:
· Improving the performance and stability of Songbird is an ongoing focus. Each release we set aside dedicated cycles to ensure we're making progress.
· At least 512 MB of physical RAM
· 1.5 GHz Pentium 4 or comparable
· 16 bit sound card (Recommended: 32 bit Sound Card)
· Speakers or headphones
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
With our Version 2.1 update for Songbird Classic, your desktop application can now:
· Push music to wireless devices, like speakers and televisions
· Act as a media server allowing wireless devices to pull from your Songbird library
· Want to store playlists for different devices? You can and then stream to the kids’ room, the living room and the kitchen, all from your central desktop library. Our update even supports video playback, and in some devices, volume control and even scrubbing!