Softpedia Editor's Review for Winamp 5 Lite
The premier digital audio player for Windows
Written by Bogdan Popa on February 24th, 2012
Those who find the full Winamp package a bit overwhelming since it includes so many tools have an alternative they can turn to. It is the Lite version of the famous audio player, an edition that still has a lot to offer.
Winamp Lite doesn't include some of the advanced features that are part of the standard installation kit, but still, the application is able to play all media formats and comes with the same user friendly interface we've seen since version 3.0.
The installation process should takes only a few moments but be advised that the setup includes third party software that can change the settings of your web browser, so pay extra care when running it.
The file association procedure is included in the initial package installation so when you start the program for the first time, the music filetypes you choose are already registered to be opened with Winamp Lite.
Among the features that are not missing, the 'Playlist Editor' will enable you to create personalized lists with your favorite songs. Also, the useful 'Equalizer' is present in the Lite version to provide you with the sound customization functions you need.
All things considered, Winamp Lite is surely set to follow the same path to success as the Full edition. Even though it sports a reduced feature pack, this version of Winamp still has the same easy to use interface with excellent support for a variety of audio files.
Winamp 5 Lite description
Here are some key features of "Winamp 5 Lite":
· Multi-channel MP3 Surround Support
· Compatible with Winamp 2 Plug-ins
· Full Support for Classic Skins
· Download thousands of Skins and Plug-ins
· 500MHz Pentium III or comparable
· 256MB RAM
· 20MB Hard Disk Space
· 16bit Sound Card
· DirectX 9.0c (for watching videos and Milkdrop vis)
· Internet Explorer 5.01 or higher (for Online Services)
· 1x speed or greater CD Burner (Required for Burning)
· 2x speed or greater CDROM (Required for Ripping)
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· New: Hungarian and Indonesian installer translations and language packs
· New: [enc_vorbis] Ogg Vorbis Encoder (based on aoTuV)
· Improved: Shift+F10 app key support in the Media Library
· Improved: [enc_fhgaac] Added VBR mode 6, plus other minor quality improvements
· Improved: [in_mod] Refactored, simplified and threadsafe memory allocation
· Improved: [ml_history] Save playcounts when updated instead of only on exit
· Improved: [ml_local] Increased search query buffers from 512 or 1024 to 2048 bytes
· Improved: [gen_hotkeys] Added manual advance and visualization specific actions
· Fixed: Embedded album art not working in some scenarios
· Fixed: [aacdec] Memory leak when re-syncing to AAC stream
· Fixed: [bmp] Bounds checking in TSCC decoder
· Fixed: [bmp] Heap overflow issues (thanks: Secunia)
· Fixed: [in_avi] Divide-by-zero and NULL pointer issues (thanks: FuzzMyApp)
· Fixed: [in_mod] .IT memory & heap corruption issues (thanks: Jeremy Brown, MSVR)
· Fixed: [ml_local] Crash in MLDBAPI::SetFi...
Users are advised to pay attention while installing this ad-supported application:
· Attempts to change the default search engine for web browsers installed on the system.
· Offers to download or install software or components (such as browser toolbars) that the program does not require to fully function