Softpedia Editor's Review for SHOUTcast DSP Plug-In for Winamp
Adds broadcast ability to the Winamp software
Written by Bogdan Popa on March 14th, 2012
Setting up an online radio station might sound like a very difficult job, but with SHOUTcast tools this should be a matter of a few mouse clicks.
In essence a simple plugin, SHOUTcast DSP Plug-in is able to convert the Winamp powerful media player into an advanced streaming app that can let other users connected to the Internet listen to your music.
Setting it up can be a bit more difficult, but keep in mind that you might have to enable the plug-in from Winamp's preferences if you haven't done so during the installation procedure. Also, it only works with Winamp 5.5 or newer, so having the latest version of the player is a must.
The most difficult part of getting the SHOUTcast DSP Plug-in to work is setting up the correct configuration in the 'Output' tab so it can successfully connect. It comes with a non-legacy mode for SHOUTcast v1 server compatibility but if you have the right address and the port is not blocked by your firewall or ISP, things should work fine.
There is an option that enables you to make the server public, so that other users can tune-in and listen to your music. During our tests we used as input sources for SHOUTcast DSP Plug-in Winamp as well as the soundcard input. The latter has several mixer control options that give you a better command over the available functions.
All in all, SHOUTcast DSP Plug-in is more than a simple add-on for this popular media player and in case you're looking into setting an online radio station, this one could easily be a top pick.
SHOUTcast DSP Plug-In for Winamp description
· A reasonably fast (300Mhz or faster) PC running Windows 95, 98, NT, 2000, or ME. Windows 3.x is not supported.
· Winamp 5.5 or greater
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Fixed all reproduceable issues when switching between Winamp and Soundcard mode as well as switching between the different soundcard input modes (should fix all reported crashes when switching between these modes)
· Fixed soundcard input not being initialised correctly in all of the previous v2.3.x releases
· Fixed the 'connect' button getting disabled when switching from the 'summary' to the 'output' tab
· Fixed crash when playlist was cleared and Winamp was in a specific playback state leading to information could not be properly handled
· Updated list of station names not allows for being listed in the Directory
· Updated albumart support to get the raw playing artwork instead of the decoded artwork and having to re-encode to png when using Winamp v5.6+ (still happens on pre-5.6 or if there is an external artwork file due to the Winamp artwork api)