Scanner Recorder (Scanrec) is a simple to use application that allow you to record and store, under different settings, your conversations or music files.
Scanner Recorder provides a switched recorder that listens to the sound coming into the audio card and if the sound is above the minimum threshold, the recorder operates. If the sound level falls below the threshold, the recorder pauses.
Since the recorder starts and stops based on what it hears, Scanner Recorder incorporates an anti-clipping feature that keeps the very beginning of the audio that breaks the squelch threshold from being clipped off. The result is that when sound is played back, there is no noticeable "click". Also the beginning of the audio event is not clipped off (like mechanical vox recorders do).
The output file format only supports WAV files. Currently you will need a separate WAV player capable of playing very large files. The Media Player that comes with Windows 95 (and NT) works fine to play back the files. It is capable of playing back very large files.
The program has a VOX control that allows the you to save disk space when no sound is present in the signal.
Since FM communications has such an effective squelch, the recorder works best with FM. HF ham bands and World Band radio have such a poor signal to noise ratio that the VOX gate on Scanrec might not be very easy to set.
Here are some key features of "Scanner Recorder Scanrec":
· Recording radio communications.
· Recording channels that hardly ever have activity. Catch rarely heard conversations.
· Air traffic control recording.
· Record (compressed) broadcast radio or TV and listen to it when it's more convenient.
· CPU - 486 PC or faster.
· Memory - 4 MB RAM
· Disk Space - 770 Kb
· Hardware - Windows compatible sound card that has either a microphone or line input.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Added EULA (end user license agreement) page.
· Repackaged using the Microsoft Installer