Softpedia Editor's Review for FastStone Capture
An image viewer, editor and screen capturer
Written by Elena Opris on March 12th, 2012
FastStone Capture is a tool that you can use to take snapshots, record the screen, as well as view and edit images.
The interface of the program is based on a small toolbar from which you can capture the active window, window or object, rectangular or freehand region, full screen, scrolling window or fixed region.
When it comes to recording the screen, you can set the recording area to window or object, rectangular region or full screen (optionally without the taskbar).
In addition, you can configure settings when it comes to video (e.g. set the frame rate, enable compact mode), audio (record audio and mouse click sounds), the hotkey (to stop the recording) and output files (e.g. set the file name template).
Furthermore, you can set FastStone Capture to copy the output image to the editor, clipboard, file, printer, email, Word, PowerPoint or FTP, as well as enable auto caption, auto edge or watermark and to include the mouse pointer.
In the Editor you can rotate, flip or resize the image, expand the canvas or set its size, draw lines or text, enter a caption, adjust colors (e.g. brightness, contrast, gamma), use a color picker, apply filters (e.g. grayscale, sepia, oil painting, sketch, sharpen, blur), edit with external editors, and more.
The program uses a very low amount of system resources. includes a comprehensive help file with snapshots and didn't cause us any problems during our tests. Excluding the interface which could use some minor improvements, we strongly recommend FastStone Capture to all users.
FastStone Capture description
Here are some key features of "FastStone Capture":
· A small handy Capture Panel that provides quick access to its capture tools and output options
· Global hotkeys to activate screen capturing instantly
· Capture windows, objects, menus, full screen, rectangular/freehand regions and scrolling windows/web pages
· Capture multiple windows and objects including multi-level menus
· Options to specify output destination (internal editor, clipboard, file, printer ...)
· Draw annotation objects such as texts, arrowed lines, highlights, watermarks, rectangles and circles
· Apply effects such as drop-shadow, frame, torn-edge and fade-edge
· Add image caption
· Resize, crop, rotate, sharpen, brighten, adjust colors ...
· Support external editors
· Save in BMP, GIF, JPEG, PCX, PNG, TGA, TIFF and PDF formats
· Send captured images by email
· Send captured images to Word and PowerPoint documents
· Send captured images to a Web (FTP) server
· Record screen activities and sound into video files
· Screen Color Picker
· Screen Magnifier
· Screen Ruler
· Support multiple monitors
· Run when Windows starts (optional)
· Minimize to System Tray area
· Small footprint in memory
· 256MB RAM
· 10MB space in hard drive
· 30 days trial
· Nag screen
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Added "Print" tab to the Settings. Now you have an option to print directly to the default printer without showing the Print dialog
· Added Drop Shadow option to the Reflection tool under Effects menu
· Enhanced the video editor of the built-in screen video recorder
· Other minor improvements and bug fixes
Enhanced the Draw tool:
· Now you can draw both straight and curved lines using the Line tool
· Added 10 styles to the Line and Pencil tools
· Added Number Stamp
· Added Eraser
· Added L-Line
· Added "Align" (top, left, right, bottom, width, height and size) to the right click menu on multiple objects
· Enhanced "Select Canvas". Now you can crop, blur, copy, cut, paste and delete a selected area. You can even fill it with a screen color
· Now you can select multiple objects and change their attributes as a group
| ||Softpedia guarantees that FastStone Capture 7.5 is 100% CLEAN, which means it does not contain any form of malware, including spyware, viruses, trojans and backdoors. [read more >] |