Softpedia Editor's Review for HyperSnap
Take screenshots and save them in image format
Written by Elena Opris on February 1st, 2012
Read an in-depth analysis in our professional review for HyperSnap
HyperSnap-DX is a software that provides you with several methods when it comes to taking snapshots.
This tool can also be installed as a portable product. In other words, you can place HyperSnap-DX on an external device and run it on any computer. More importantly, your Windows registry entries will remain intact.
The interface of the program is plain and simple. In the "Capture" tab, you can set HyperSnap-DX to capture a region, pan region, a window, the active window, scroll region or page, or full screen.
But you can also capture the virtual desktop, a button, the active window without the frame, free-hand, multi-region, extended active window, video or game, and more.
Additionally, you can set the image shape, aspect ratio and size, hide the mouse cursor in the snapshots, use the "Undo" and "Redo" buttons and basic image editing tools (e.g. line, pencil, text, arrow, highlight, color change, brightness and contrast).
But you can also crop, mirror, resize, stamp and rotate the image, as well as add filters (e.g. sharp, blur, shadow, frame, resolution, correction, grayscale, invert colors).
Furthermore, you can snap text (from region, under cursor, auto-scroll region, auto-scroll window), update snapshots to a FTP server or send them by email, as well as configure program settings (e.g. crop image size, create a new window for each capture, copy each capture to clipboard, automatically save each capture to a file, enter full screen presentation mode after a capture).
The program uses a low-to-moderate amount of system resources and includes a user manual with tutorials. It didn't freeze or crash during our tests. However, some functions do not work properly (e.g. images are not properly displayed when you are capturing a button) and output files have watermarks. Otherwise, we strongly recommend HyperSnap-DX to all users.
Here are some key features of "HyperSnap":
· Image captures from any where on the screen or multiple monitors, in any shape or size.
· New & powerful image capture, editing, annotation and manipulation tools. Objects drawn over images can now be selected, edited, shown and hidden, moved, deleted any time. A new native file format saves the objects drawn for further editing later, or save a standard image and have the object "imprinted" permanently on them.
· Unlimited undo/redo.
· TextSnap feature to capture editable text from almost anywhere on the screen. Can also capture tab-delimited data for easy paste into MS Excel.
· Snags also those difficult-to-grab screens from DirectX™ and Glide™ games.
· Capture dropdown menus and lists with hotkey feature or delayed capture.
· Image stamps, frames, drop shadow, free-hand capture, FTP server uploads, more.
· Automatic color substitution.
· Non-rectangular window capture.
· Button Capture - perfect for professional technical writers who need to snap and document dozens of buttons!
· Auto-scrolls and concurrently captures long web pages and other. documents, enabling it to grab more than is visible on the screen.
· 100 MB of free disk space is needed to install the program (about 25 MB is actually used after the installation finishes)
· Watermark on output files
· Nag screen
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Fix: The saturation slider on "Color Correction" did not work quite right.
· F12 cannot be used as a hotkey under Windows, so blocked its entry in the Hot Keys dialog box.