Softpedia Editor's Review for ScreenHunter Free
Capture your screen easily
Written by Elena Opris on February 3rd, 2012
ScreenHunter is a software which enables you to take screenshots in several methods.
The user interface of the program is well-organized and easy to navigate through. There are four tabs displayed - "From", "To", "Options" and "Tasks".
In the free version of ScreenHunter, you can capture a rectangular area, active window or full screen, as well as include a mouse pointer and set delay (in seconds).
You can save the image in the BMP, JPG or GIF format, as well as select a solid color (closest match, median cut, neural) or dithered one (error diffusion, Floyd-Steinber, uniform).
Furthermore, you can enable transparency (and set a color), send the capture to clipboard, open Windows Explorer and set an output destination.
Plus, you can add ScreenHunter to the Windows startup menu, disable screentips and settings on button faces, minimize to system tray, hide the icon in the system tray when capturing, as well as play a sound and view the saved files after capturing.
The program uses a low-to-moderate amount of system resources and includes a help file with images. It captures an snapshot without displaying any errors.
Unfortunately, the free version doesn't give you access to many features but you can purchase the pro version to unlock them (e.g. image editor, screen zoom, color picker, capture a fixed area).
All in all, ScreenHunter is a very good tool for taking snapshots and we strongly recommend it to all users.
ScreenHunter Free description
· Pentium 166MHz PC or higher
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
New User Interface:
· Newly designed user interface with better tabs for easy navigation
· Better Windows 7 compatibility for both 32-bit and 64-bit
· Profiles - You can save your settings to a profile that can be used by point and click
New & Enhanced Capture Features:
· Fixed size and flexible rectangular capture
· Auto-scroll for long web pages
· Webcam capture
· Border with drop shadow and more
· Specific window 'lock-in' capture even they are minimized
· DirectX and game screen capture
· Timed capture on program startup
· Translucent Zoombox
· Color effects
· Web image capture
· Scanning images
New & Enhanced Filing and Printing Features:
· Multiple image file format saving
· Saving to a PDF file
· Automatic filenaming
· Creating new folders on the fly
· Wysiwyg printing
· New Image Editor
· A combination of a bitmap image editor and vector object editor
· On top of your capture as bitmap, you can add drawing objects such as arrows and bubbles that you can keep ...
Users are advised to pay attention while installing this ad-supported application:
· Offers to download or install software or components (Wisdom-Soft Toolbar) that the program does not require to fully function