Softpedia Editor's Review for SnapShot
SnapShot is a lightweight, yet powerful, full-featured screen capture tool.
Written by Elena Opris on July 3rd, 2012
Read an in-depth analysis in our professional review for SnapShot
SnapShot is a straightforward application that allows you to quickly capture the screen of your computer in several methods. It can be easily used by individuals of any experience level.
The interface of the program is plain and simple to work with. So, SnapShot allows you to capture the full screen, active window or rectangle (by making a mouse selection).
In addition, you can include the mouse cursor, copy image to clipboard, send it to the image editor, Paint or via email, upload the picture via FTP and enable automatic exit.
In the "Preferences" area you can enable SnapShot to minimize to system tray on startup and to keep it minimized after capturing, play a sound after capture and to stay on top of other processes.
But you can also adjust the JPEG quality, specify the default file type for attachments and uploads, set the delay time and choose the color of the rectangle box (when making the selection), and more.
The simple-to-use program runs on a very low amount of system resources, includes a well-written help file in a plain text document, supports several keyboard shortcuts, has a good response time and didn't freeze, crash or pop up errors during our tests. However, SnapShot doesn't offer any extraordinary features. We mainly recommend it to novices.
Here are some key features of "SnapShot":
· Capture screen, window, rectangular area
· Global hotkeys to instantly activate screen capturing
· Options to specify output destination (file, editor, clipboard, printer, e-mail)
· Save in BMP, GIF, JPEG, PCX, PNG, PSD, and TIFF formats
· Run minimized or minimize to System Tray area
· Include mousepointer, play sound on capture
· Supports multiple monitors and Dualview
· Automatically save screen captures, automatic filename generation
· Send screen captures to Paint or to your favorite image editing program
· Send screen captures by build-in e-mail (supports Exchange Server)
· Upload screen captures by build-in FTP engine (File Transfer Protocol)
· In Dual View, the "Capture Rectangle Area" function grabs sreenshots on the primary screen only.
· SnapShot can not capture live video screens (DirectX / Direct3D, Glide).
· SnapShot can not capture an entire webpage.
· Capturing an Active Window on Vista / 7 sometimes has the irritating effect that an area around the (transparent) borders becomes visible.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· JPEG handling is improved (noticeable on text screenshots when zoomed in), new exception catcher, minor tweaks.