Softpedia Editor's Review for WebShot
Take screenshots and thumbnails of web pages or whole websites
Written by Bogdan Popa on April 30th, 2012
As the main purpose of browsing the Internet is getting information and since it can be found in so many forms, capturing webpages or entire websites for offline browsing is something many users resort to.
To accommodate these needs, a software like WebShot can provide assistance when it comes to taking a screenshot of a certain site. It is capable of doing all the hard work automatically, with as little user intervention as possible.
Furthermore, if you plan to take screenshots of multiple pages at the same time, just make a list inside WebShot by adding multiple source URLs and the application will take care of that for you.
We've tested the program with multiple links and besides the fact that it worked pretty fast, it also did the whole job perfectly, without errors or other issues.
When it comes to saving the captured images, the application offers several formats for you to choose from. WebShot can handle equally well BMP, JPG, PNG and GIF filetypes, while allowing you to adjust the output quality to the desired level using a simple slider in the 'Image' section of the ''Settings menu.
Another customization you can make is picture size related. The choices are 'Fixed Size', 'Minimum Size' and 'Maximum Size' with individual boxes where you can specify the width and height. WebShot also enables you to select the timeout values for the whole process from the same 'Settings' menu.
All things considered, WebShot is indeed a good software to have at hand for capturing screenshots of entire websites or single pages. It is easy to use and customize, not to mention the fact that it supports the most common image types, so you can try and see what it can actually do for you.
Here are some key features of "WebShot":
· Automatic determination of page width and height that captures the whole page accurately. Frame dimensions are determined and calculated on pages that have them.
· Browser size specification allows you to capture the whole page or part of it
· Image thumbnailing reduces the final capture image easily
· Timeouts allow you to wait for activex controls to load before capturing
· Image encoding to JPG, GIF, PNG, and BMP with image quality control to save on disk space
· CSV output allows you to easily parse the results of a screenshot capture operation
· CSV output of page title, meta keywords, and description helps you parse the most important information from a page
· Use within your own applications using the dll and example C source code
· Multiple threads allow you to quickly capture more screenshots without running multiple processes
· Custom user agents allow you to view a web page that might be served to other browsers
· Easily delete all of Internet Explorer's cache, so your hard drive doesn't get full
· Global bitmap file mapping object, reduces memory footprint for multiple threads per instance
· Configure custom HTTP post strings and HTTP authentication credentials
· Configurable message box popup automation to automatically deal with message boxes that Internet Explorer might throw
· Higher quality color quantized gif images produce better screenshots with less disk space
· PHP COM scriptability
· Actively maintained and developed
· Some functions are disabled:
· Color screenshots
· DLL for third-party use
· DLL documentation
· DLL example code
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Fixed /bwidth & /bheight when using chromium
· Fixed some DLL definitions
Users are advised to pay attention while installing this ad-supported application:
· Offers to change the homepage for web browsers installed in the system
· Offers to change the default search engine for web browsers installed in the system
· Offers to download or install software or components (such as browser toolbars) that the program does not require to fully function