Softpedia Editor's Review for Free Image Editor
Bitmap image-editing application that lets you retouch existing photos or create original graphics
Written by Elena Opris on January 18th, 2013
Read an in-depth analysis in our professional review for Free Image Editor
Free Image Editor is a professional application designed to help you easily edit pictures.
Once you initiate the program, you are welcomed by a window in which you can create, capture or scan an image from an external device, view tip of the day, and more.
The user interface is plain, familiar, but navigating through the software is not very simple.
So, in this program you can click a single button to automatically paste the image data from the clipboard, configure the image size (i.e. Paper Size - width, height, resolution, position), resample, crop, invert, reskew, rotate or flip an image.
In addition, you can adjust color (contrast, equalizer, HSV, RGB, HSL, FFT), get RGB and HSV channels, replace colors, view a histogram, as well as apply art effects (bump map, color emboss, sand etc.), distortion (lens, wave, swirl, shear etc.), transform (split light, solarize, posterize), noise, contour effects and color filters.
If you typically use keyboard shortcuts, you will probably be surprised to find out some basic hotkeys are different than the ones in similar products - save file (Alt+S instead of Ctrl+S), new file (Alt+N instead of Ctrl+N), and so on.
Furthermore, the zoom in and out functions of the mouse scroll are inverted, the hand pointer doesn't work, and the Tool menu's name is replaced with "Raster" here. The Preferences menu is very limited, there is no help file you can use, and all these aforementioned functions could use some major improvements (e.g. Color Replacing).
At least the program uses a moderate amount of CPU and system memory, recognizes many image formats, and is simple to use by both beginners and experts.
Free Image Editor description
Here are some key features of "Free Image Editor":
· JPEG (RGB, GrayScale, YCbCr, CMYK, YCbCrK) loading and saving.
· JPEG2000: JP2, J2K and JPC code stream formats (JPEG-2000 Part-1 standard, ISO/IEC 15444-1) loading and saving.
· TIFF (rev.6.0, Packbits, CCITT G.3 and G.4) with RGB, CMYK, B/W, CIELab color spaces loading and saving. Also FAX (CCITT3) format supported for loading.
· PNG with various compression levels loading and saving.
· Compressed and uncompressed BMP in 2,16,256 or 16M colors loading and saving.
· Compressed and uncompressed PCX in 2,16,256 or 16M colors loading and saving.
· DIB, RLE, TGA (TARGA, VDA, ICB, VST, PIX) loading and saving.
· Portable Bitmap PBM, PGM and PPM loading and saving.
· WBMP (Wireless Bitmap) uncompressed and black/white loading and saving.
· GIF in 2,4,8,16,32,64,128 or 256 colors loading and saving.
· WMF, EMF (input as raster), ICO and CUR loading.
· RAW Camera formats (CRW, CR2, NEF, RAW, PEF, RAF, X3F, BAY, ORF, SRF, MRW, DCR) loading.
· MultiPage TIF, GIF and AVI loading and saving.
· PhotoShop PSD format loading and saving.
· Saving/loading of specific file format parameters and saving/loading of preview dialogs (e.g. you can set quality of a Jpeg and view immediately the quality loss).
· Progress monitoring with saving and loading.
· Image properties getting without loading it.
· Image acquisition from TWAIN scanner with full control of the scanner capabilities.
· Screen capture by various methods (all desktop, rectangle selection, object and active window).
· Video capture from various video sources.
Image processing and analysis:
· Decreasing and increasing of raster lines thickness.
· Image and paper resizing.
· Image rotation any angle by various methods.
· Image deskew by various methods.
· Horizontal and vertical flip.
· Image invert conversion.
· Selected region cropping.
· Conversion to gray scale and negative.
· Color to other color replacing .
· Median cut and Neural network color quantizers, for fast and accurate color reduction.
· Reduction to any number of colors (with colormap output).
· HSV and RGB channels separations.
· Color equalization.
· Regulation of contrast, HSL, HSV/ HSB and RGB components.
· LineArt filters: despeckle and so on.
· Application of 3x3 filters.
· Fast Fourier Transformation (FFT) with preview.
· Maximum (dilation), Minimum (erosion), Opening and Closing filters with preview.
· Picture filters (soften, sharpen, color emboss, gaussian blur, antialias, remove red eyes and auto equalize).
· Contour filters (find edges and trace).
· Bump mapping, lens, wave, morph and other effects.
· Preview of all the effects in a single dialog, with 8 preset filters and save/load filters from file.
· Progress monitoring for image processing tasks.
· Multilevel Undo/Redo for raster editing.
· Raster layers.
Raster paint operations:
· Various paint tools (sketch, line, ellipse, curve, rectangle, round rectangle, flood fill, spray, eraser and eyedropper).
· Various pen styles (solid, clear, dash, dot, dashdot and dashdotdot).
· Various brush styles (solid, clear, cross, diagonal cross, b-diagonal, f-diagonal, vertical and horizontal).
· Choice of pen and brush colors.
· Real time Zoom-in and Zoom-out (by percentage, zoom in rectangular area or by one mouse click). Zoom-previous is also available.
· Real time Pan (click and drag the image with mouse).
· Scrollbar in two dimensions for the fast exploration of the image.
· Printing (and print preview) functions to print single images specifing page alignment or absolute position.
· 64 MB RAM
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· New raster formats have been added and a few minor bugs have been fixed.