Softpedia Editor's Review for IcoFX
A professional icon and cursor editor
Written by Elena Opris on March 1st, 2013
IcoFX is a rich-featured software application which enables you to create and design icons, cursors and images. It is primarily developed while keeping the advanced user in mind.
The interface of the program is professional and intuitive. Importing items into the environment can be done by using either the file browser or 'drag and drop' method. IcoFX supports plenty of file types for the input, such as JPG, BMP, ICO, XPM, GIF, EXE and DLL.
Users are supplied with a toolbar when you can work with some standard graphic editing functions, such as rectangular selection, crop, brush, line, text, fill, eraser, blur, brighten, color picker, ruler, zoom and flip.
It is possible to preview the results in a small frame on the upper right part of the screen, along with information on the colors and a histogram. So, you can adjust the colors levels, pick different sizes of brushes and variations of gradients, choose the layers mode (e.g. color dodge, overlay, darken), as well as view a history of the commands.
IcoFX comes with multiple image effects and adjustments which revolve around the colors, emboss, blur, sharpen, glow, drop shadow, hue, saturation, contrast, brightness, transparent color, curves and opacity, just to name a few. Furthermore, you can import and duplicate pictures, set the cursor hotspot and animation frame rate, create a Windows or Macintosh icon from an image, as well as build icons, cursors and images in batch mode.
IcoFX supports keyboard shortcuts and multiple languages for the UI, is very responsive to key strokes and mouse events, and includes user documentation. We have not experienced any problems throughout our evaluation, since IcoFX did not freeze, hang or display error dialogs. Thanks to its wide range of customization features, skilled users should be satisfied with IcoFX, while novices might take a while to get familiarized with its advanced environment.
Here are some key features of "IcoFX":
· Support for Vista icon with PNG compression
· Support for Macintosh OS X icons
· Create static and animated cursors
· Convert Macintosh icons to Windows icons
· Create and edit icon and cursor libraries
· Create favicon for websites or blogs
· Easily convert images to icons
· Add, change or delete icons inside exe files
· Support for transparency (alpha channel)
· Batch processing for import, export and extract
· Extract icons from 32 bit exe and dll
· Import and export images
· Multiple language support
· More than 40 effects + custom filter
· Image adjustments
· Full assortment of tools
· Layers and soft selection
· Intel Pentium / AMD Athlon processor or equivalent running at 2 Ghz or more
· 512 MB RAM (1 GB RAM recommended)
· 50 MB free hard drive space (100 MB recommended)
· 15-use trial
· Nag screen
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Curves window for image adjustments
· Levels window for image adjustments
· Color selection on the Tools panel
· History for selections and quick mask
· History for layer properties
· Xpm file format can be associated to IcoFX
· Explorer panel supports vertical/horizontal layout depending on size
· [Fixed] The Explorer panel opened slowly folders that contained large
· zip fies containing many compressed files
· [Fixed] Crashed sometimes if copy was pressed in quick mask mode
· Minor enhancements and bugfixes
| ||Softpedia guarantees that IcoFX 2.4 is 100% CLEAN, which means it does not contain any form of malware, including spyware, viruses, trojans and backdoors. [read more >] |