Softpedia Editor's Review for Visions
An innovative way to view your favorite photos, by navigating in a 3D-world
Written by Elena Opris on February 8th, 2013
Read an in-depth analysis in our professional review for Visions
Visions is a software application that allows you to view pictures in a 3D environment. It can be handled by users of any level of experience.
Upon program initialization, you can follow a step-by-step wizard, in order to configure some settings. So, you can select the folders to import the images you want to navigate through, as well as make Visions automatically find subfolders with more than a specific number of pictures.
In addition, you can link the app to a photo sharing account (Flickr or 23) and make file associations. The interface of Visions is user-friendly and quite interesting. Folders are shown in separate black boxes, with each of them displaying thumbnails of the pictures it includes.
You can zoom in on a picture by hovering the mouse cursor over it, as well as quickly move images to different folders by using the 'drag and drop' method. On top of that, you can use a search function to locate folders, create a slideshow, and pick the layout between cylinder, colosseum, horizontal or vertical wheel, disc, and carousel.
The program also integrates an image editor that comes with quick fixes (e.g. auto color, brightness, gamma, sharpen, red eye removal), adjustments (e.g. flip, rotate, hue, saturation), effects (e.g. emboss, grain, mask, oil paint) and artwork (e.g. pencil sketch, color drawing, sunny glow, tiles).
Furthermore, you can backup or send pictures via email, set them as wallpaper, cut, copy and paste items, as well as view file properties. When printing photographs, you can select various themes from eCards, greeting cards, family albums, photo book, portfolio, calendars, and business cards.
From the 'Preferences' screen, you can modify the default thumbnails data location, adjust the JPEG quality, make file associations, set up email accounts, enable mouse gestures, set the transitions duration in slideshows, configure a Box.net account for image backups, as well as manage add-ons, just to name a few.
The program uses a very high amount of CPU and system memory, is pretty responsive to commands, and includes a help file. Visions did not freeze or crash during our tests. However, it popped up an error every time we tried making file associations. Nevertheless, thanks to its intuitive layout and overall simplicity, Visions's features may be easily discovered.
Here are some key features of "Visions":
· 3D Photo Navigation
· With Visions, you show hard-drive folders as 3D albums spread on your screen. This way, showing several folders in one view becomes easier than ever. Simply drag and drop folders to the 3D showroom and Visions will arrange them in your 3D world, making it possible to show them all in one place.
· Quick Collection Edits
· Visions allows you to perform common edit tasks such as rotate and flip on an entire collection. No need to repeat the same task for each photo in your folder, and for each photo in the next folder or drive.
· Simple and Powerful
· The editor is designed to be simple and in the same time provide smart and advanced tools. Dozens of fixes, adjustments and effects are provided by simple and intuitive controls which you can easily use on your photos.
· Editor capabilities can be extended by installing new add-ons. Add-ons allow you to have more fixes, adjustments and effects. New add-ons are being developed by our growing community of developers and are available for download.
· Advanced Meta (EXIF) Editor
· Meta (EXIF) data is a list of properties recorded by your digital camera such as camera model, photo taking date, flash configuration and much more. The Meta editor allows you to list all these properties and modify them as needed.
· One Click Fixes
· Repair defective photos with just a click. Use the set of one-click fixes such as red-eye removal, auto-brightness and auto-color to quickly repair your photos.
· Fast Adjustments
· Tune your photos to be exactly as you want them. Use the set of fast adjustments such as brightness, contrast, flip and rotate to tune your photos freely.
· Impressive Effects
· Apply impressive effects to your photos. Use the set of smart effects such as Oil-Paint, Masks and Fisheye to give your photos a special touch.
· Manage Multiple Accounts
· Visions enables you to manage multiple Flickr accounts in one place. With Visions you can add or remove new accounts and easily switch from one existing account to another.
· Edit Photo Details
· Each Flickr photo holds lots of information, such as tags, comments and notes. With Visions you can manage all of these details in one place: add or remove tags, set new notes, manage comments and much more.
· Explore Flickr Database
· Flickr is one of the largest photo databases available today. Users around the world use Flickr? to share their photos with people just like you. Use Visions to search others' photos, watch their details and even download their photos locally to your computer.
· In place Photo Editing
· If you have Flickr Pro account you can use Visions to edit photos "in place". Meaning you can open your photo in Visions photo editor directly from the Sharing panel, make your changes and upload it back to Flickr.
· CPU: Intel Core Due, AMD Athlon 64 and up
· Memory: 256MB of free memory and up
· Monitor: VGA with 1024x768 pixel resolution and up
· Graphics Card: 3D Accelerated Graphics Card with Pixel Shader 2.0 and up
· Hard-Drive: 200MB of free space
· Network: Internet connection is required for sharing photos
· NET Framework 2.0
· DirectX 9c
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Fixed minor bugs
Users are advised to pay attention while installing this ad-supported application:
· Offers to change the homepage for web browsers installed in the system
· Offers to change the default search engine for web browsers installed in the system
· Offers to download or install software or components (VisionsBar toolbar) that the program does not require to fully function