Potrace is a useful and easy-to-use application designed to trace bitmpas like PBM, PGM, PPM or BMP formats.
A typical use is to create EPS files from scanned data, such as company or university logos, handwritten notes, etc. The resulting image is not "jaggy" like a bitmap, but smooth. It can then be rendered at any resolution.
Potrace can currently produce the following output formats: EPS, PostScript, PDF, Xfig, Gimppath, SVG (scalable vector graphics), and PGM (for easy antialiasing). Additional backends might be added in the future.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· PS1 - bitops.c: added "cc" as a clobbered register.
· PS1 - GeoJSON backend: -u option affects rounding, not scaling.
· CH1 - added GeoJSON backend.
· PS1 - minor change in behavior of alphamax parameter: make a corner if alpha >= alphamax (instead of >). This makes little practical difference, except when alphamax = 0, in which case we now get a polygon. Fixes bug #3495854, reported by scribbleink.
· PS1 - added support for BMP format with bitfields.