Softpedia Editor's Review for MKV to AVI Converter
A powerful video converter which can convert MKV to AVI DivX XviD.
Written by Elena Opris on January 28th, 2013
Read an in-depth analysis in our professional review for MKV to AVI Converter
MKV to AVI Converter is a useful tool that can handle a variety of video formats, not only the ones included in its name. Thus, it can also encode other video extensions (e.g. MPG, ASF, WMV) to MKV or WMV, as well as split and edit output files (e.g. frame rate and size).
The user interface is plain and simple. You can open a video (the "drag and drop" method is unsupported), set its output format (MKV, AVI or WMV) and output destination, configure the audio and video compressor, and start the converting process.
MKV to AVI Converter needs you to have installed on yoru system codecs, decoders and encoders because it doesn't carry any with it. Unfortunately, although the software kindly guides you to a website when you can download a codecs pack, some video files cannot be encoded. An error pops up but it doesn't actually point out the cause of the problem and the software doesn't offer any solutions. Moreover, the program crashes every time it cannot recognize a video format.
MKV to AVI Converter uses a low amount of system resources and has a help file (which can be improved), but you never know for sure if it will successfully encode your video files or not.
All things considered, you may give it a try but do not rely on it as your only conversion tool because things might not go as planned.
MKV to AVI Converter description
Here are some key features of "MKV to AVI Converter":
· Encode AVI with DIVX, XVID, Windows Media Audio and Video Codec, DV Video Encoder, etc.
· Split MKV file into smaller pieces.
· Change the frame size, and adjust the video aspect ratio.
· Open compression system for video and audio.
· Convert other video formats MPEG, MPG, ASF, WMV, VCD, SVCD, DAT to avi file also.
· DirectX 9.0 or later.
· Matroska codec pack
· If the MKV converter does not preview the mkv file still, Please install other video and audio decoder for the mkv file.
· Please install avi video encoder such as DivX, Xvid.
· The default avi audio compressor is Microsoft ADPCM. You can also install or select other audio compressor.
· 2G free space of hard disk
· 256 MB of memory
· 800Mhz CPU
· Only outputs a maximum of 1-minute video
· Nag screen
Users are advised to pay attention while installing this ad-supported application:
· Offers to download or install software or components (MKV to AVI with Subtitle) that the program does not require to fully function