| User Rating:
Very Good (4.2/5)
Softpedia Editor's Review for Subtitles Translator
Easy create subtitles for your movies!
Written by Andreea Matei on November 26th, 2012
Subtitles Translator is an application that assists users in translating subtitles from one language to another. It deals mainly with the MicroDVD format (.SUB), but it can also process text files.
Before you get your hopes up and think that there’s some kind of magic in this application, you should know that the translation is based primarily on your efforts and language knowledge. The program offers formatting options and frame numbering, but is not a translator in itself. Even so, there are some advantages to Subtitles Translator that are not that easy to come across in such applications.
There’s no installation process; just decompress the archive and launch it. The user-interface is quite standard, yet compact and user-friendly. There are two panels populating the main window: one for the original file and one for the translated text and a few menus that include a selection of options.
Usage is not complicated, but not a piece of cake either. As such, beginners should check out the help file first, to get acquainted with all the features. There’s something awesome about Subtitles Translator – the fact that it allows you to perform line-by-line editing. This means that there’s no way the translation is going to be delayed; by translating one line at a time, there can’t be any synchronization issue between the original subtitles and the output ones.
Other options include insert / remove / merge lines, find / replace / cut / copy and line renumbering. In addition, the translations can be previewed directly inside movies via the ‘Enable Display’ feature.
As far as configuration is concerned, you can customize the appearance of the interface, subtitle display, various keyboard shortcuts and autosave.
In conclusion, Subtitles Translator is a great way to create your own subtitles. Keep in mind that you’re the translator and not the application.
Subtitles Translator description
Here are some key features of "Subtitles Translator":
- Easy and transparent line-by-line editing.
- Displaying subtitles under video - real-time editing.
- Inserting, deleting, splitting and joining of subtitles lines.
- Implemented Windows Media Player for accurate inserting of frame numbers.
- Cutting/Copying/Pasting several lines of subtitles
- Volume and playback speed control.
- Support for basic MicroDVD formatting (bold, italics, underline, color).
- Import/Export of other subtitles formats (currently only SubRip).
- Ability to create projects, which store all settings for translating.
- Redefining shortcuts for the commands.
- Autosaving project in specified intervals
- Separate selecting font for displaying subtitles in each window (supporting some exotic languages).
- Supports language packs for easy communication in preferred language (go to Localization page for language packs).
- TAG feature - you can mark lines you want to translate later.
- Routines for adding/subtracting number of frames from subtitles, changing framerate of subtitles.
- Checking if start/end frames are greater than the ones before (looking for typing mistakes).
- Marking of too long lines (thus you know where the line needs to be split in two lines).
- Marking of too many lines in one subtitle (if number of lines exceed set limit).
- WinXP styled icons.
- At least 300MHz processor.
- Completely rewritten movie player part - new internal ActiveX control from VisioForge.
- Multiple audio tracks within file container supported together with quick switching inside the application.
- Better algorithm for resizing video window to fit the actual aspect ratio.
- Fixed bug causing to fail update the status bar when switching between the grids with TAB key.
- Fixed bug causing wrong number of selected rows in status bar when selecting from first row.
- Fixed minor bugs.