Softpedia Editor's Review for SplitCam
Your webcam can do more!
Written by Bogdan Popa on October 22nd, 2012
SplitCam is an application designed to enable you use the webcam with multiple programs at the same time, also offering some extra goodies, to make the whole experience a bit more attractive.
As you may know, a webcam can only be used with a single application, all the other tools returning 'webcam busy' errors as soon as you try to enable this particular feature.
But this is where SplitCam comes into play. It tries to split the video to multiple programs, including the most popular instant messengers on the Internet, such as Yahoo Messenger, Skype or Windows Live Messenger.
It also comes with something special in the form of visual effects, allowing you to add filters, backgrounds, face items, frames and avatars over the streamed video. Plus, SplitCam can take snapshots using your webcam, either manually or at a given time.
During our test, the program worked flawlessly every time, managing to send the video we were broadcasting to all the running apps, without needing additional customizations.
And speaking about configuration, SplitCam comes with just a few options, so you won't spend too much time setting it up. The only things you could change are the tooltips (enable or disable) and the startup feature.
In addition, you can choose the video resolution, and also tinker with webcam settings to adjust brightness, colors and contrast.
SplitCam is quite easy to use and comes with a solid feature pack, so all users can find a little bit of something to play with. Overall, it should do a great job for anyone who gives it a try.
Here are some key features of "SplitCam":
Cool webcam effects:
· Add our effects to your webcam video in video chat and have fun with your friends! It’s a real positive emotions source!
Video splitting to several programs:
· Feel free to use your webcam in several applications without receiving “webcam busy” error. Believe your webcam can do more!
All popular services support:
· Skype, Windows Live Messenger, Yahoo messenger, AOL AIM, ICQ, Camfrog, Gtalk, YouTube, ooVoo, and more…
Different video stream sources:
· With SplitCam you can stream webcam, video file, slideshow and desktop (full desktop or selected part of it)!
Useful little video features:
· Record your video without special professional software and upload it to YouTube in a few clicks directly from SplitCam window!
Zoom video feature:
· Zoom your video in SplitCam and stream only needed part of it. Zooming with keyboard and with mouse available.
· Intel Celeron 1GHz or higher
· 256 RAM
· DirectX 9.0
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Different video resolutions (including HD): go to Options and select needed resolution. In one of the next posts we’ll describe work with this feature.
· New cool effects added. Just check them.
· Video sources structure redesigned for more usability
· Few other less significant improvements
Users are advised to pay attention while installing this ad-supported application:
· Displays ad banners or other types of advertising material during its runtime
· Offers to change the homepage for web browsers installed in the system
· Offers to change the default search engine for web browsers installed in the system
· Offers to download or install software or components (SplitCam Toolbar, Autocomplete Pro) that the program does not require to fully function