Softpedia Editor's Review for Windows Live Movie Maker
Turn your videos and photos into movies
Written by Elena Opris on September 4th, 2012
Windows Live Movie Maker is a video editing application that enables you to transform images, audio files, and short clips into full blown movies. It accepts all types of media, including photos from digital cameras, flash cards, mobile phones and DVDs.
Windows Live Movie Maker lets you choose between AutoMovie themes (which are very nicely designed), transitions (which can be slightly configured), visual effects (you can choose from categories such as Cinematic, Mirror, Motion and Fades), and text for title, captions and credits.
Professional video editing can be achieved via fade effects, adjusting the speed, split and trim functions. Your movies gain a plus of the unique factor if you add transitions and animations (for which you can customize the duration).
Music can be attached to the entire movie or just to a portion of it. The movie itself can be "expanded" (i.e. a caption remains on screen longer before switching to another one) to fit the music if the audio track has a larger length.
The whole project can be then saved to various formats (including the ones specific to Android or iPhone devices), even for high-definition display or burnt directly to DVD discs. You can also publish your new movie online, on social media websites such as Facebook, Youtube or SkyDrive.
All in all, Windows Live Movie Maker sports all the necessary elements for creating a standard yet professional-looking video file. It turns your computer into your own movie studio and you into a real-life director.
Windows Live Movie Maker description
Here are some key features of "Windows Live Movie Maker":
Add videos and photos:
· Movie Maker and Windows Live Photo Gallery work together so it's easy to organize and select the photos and videos you want to use in your next movie.
Easy to edit:
· Add text, transitions, effects, and more. Change as much as you want, or let Movie Maker do it for you.
· Post your movie to your favorite sites—including YouTube, Facebook, Windows Live SkyDrive, and many others, right from Movie Maker.
· Processor: 1.6 GHz or higher
· Memory: 1 GB of RAM or higher
· Resolution: Minimum: 1024 × 576
· Internet connection: Internet functionality requires dial-up or broadband Internet access (provided separately). Local or long-distance charges may apply. High-speed Internet access is recommended for some features.
· Graphics or video card: Windows Live Movie Maker requires a video card that supports DirectX 9 or higher and Shader Model 2 or higher.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Video Stabilization: Sometimes the video we take is just little too shaky; especially as we take more and more videos using our phones and smaller video cameras. Movie Maker has taken advantage of new technology in Windows 8 to smooth out your wobbly videos. Just select the shaky video and choose from a variety Video stabilization options and Movie Maker will smooth it out.
· Music: The one thing that can really make a difference in a movie is the soundtrack. But it can be hard to find not only the right piece of music but a version with the appropriate rights. And even if you choose a song from your own collection, it runs the risk of being stripped out once it’s published to YouTube for not having the appropriate rights. So we decided to work with AudioMicro, Free Music Archive and the Vimeo Music Store to make it easy to find music that is not only fitting for video, but also has the proper rights. Now when you go to add music to your movie in Movie Maker, you have the option of ...