Softpedia Editor's Review for Ashampoo Movie Shrink & Burn
Convert, compress and burn your movie files to CDs or DVDs
Written by Sorin Cirneala on April 2nd, 2012
Ashampoo Movie Shrink & Burn is designed to help you convert movies and burn them to a CD or DVD. You can use it to convert holiday video and burn them to a disc in order to send them to your friends. But you can also extract movies from a DVD and convert them for mobile devices such as PDA's or mobile phones.
The program features a wizard-like interface that guides you through all the steps that are required. For instance, if you want to create a movie for your mobile device you need to select the file format, the screen size and the source before starting the conversion process.
The program does not allow you to make further changes to the conversion settings which can be frustrating for advanced users. The application is designed to convert your movie files with minimum user implication.
The only setting that you can adjust is the maximum size of the output file. In addition, the target file can be automatically split into multiple parts if it exceeds a certain file size that you can adjust. This function is useful when you are converting big video files or when you need to publish the movie to a website.
You can convert movies for popular websites such as YouTube or DailyMotion with just a few clicks. The program automatically warns you when the output file exceeds the website upload limit and splits the output file.
When you want to burn the video to a CD or DVD the program lets you select the disc type, and the video format (NTSC or PAL) before burning the file. For video DVD's you can also choose between 4:3 or 16:9 screen format. During the file processing the program displays a progress bar and the remaining time.
The conversion speed is decent and the program does not use a lot of resources. It converted a five-minute VOB file into an AVI movie and burned it to a CD in about four minutes using an insignificant part of the computer's memory. The CPU load was between 50 and 80 percent but the impact on the computer performance was not noticeable.
Ashampoo Movie Shrink & Burn can deal with converting and burning video files with minimum effort. The video quality of the video is good and you do not have to manually configure the encoders. The program will prompt you to install a toolbar that it is not required but you can decline during the installation.
Ashampoo Movie Shrink & Burn description
Here are some key features of "Ashampoo Movie Shrink & Burn":
· Video DVD burning: Create and burn video DVDs
· Video DVD spanning: Automatically split big movies to multiple DVDs for maximum quality without dual-layer discs
· Convert for YouTube: Create high-quality videos for YouTube, Yahoo Video, MySpace TV, Metacafe and DailyMotion
· Data DVDs and Blu-ray: Burn your videos to data DVDs and also to high-format Blu-ray discs if you have one of the new Blu-ray burners
· User interface: Thumbnail image selection for video files, practical new format selection screen for faster operation, many other small improvements and adjustments
· Convert for mobile devices: Convert and compress your videos to compact formats for playing on PDAs and other mobile devices
· DVD player formats: Convert to a variety of formats supported by normal DVD players
· Convert to CD formats: Convert to compact CD based video formats, including Video CDs, Super Video CDs, DivX/Xvid CDs and other formats on regular data CDs
· CD spanning: Automatically split larger movies to multiple CDs if necessary (supported for XVid/DivX AVIs, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, QuickTime, WMV, Video CDs, Super Video CDs and DivX/Xvid CDs)
· Convert video DVDs: You can convert the VOB video files from unencrypted video DVDs to smaller, more compact formats with very high quality
· CPU: 1200 MHz (or higher) x86 CPU.
· 128 MB RAM, recommended for best performance: 512MB RAM or more.
· Hard Disk Space 50 MB, additional space for image and temporary files (5 GB recommended).
· Windows Media Player 9 or higher recommended
· DirectX 9.0c required for GPU acceleration.
· 10 days trial or an extended 30-day trial if you register