Softpedia Editor's Review for Light Alloy
Play videos with pleasure
Written by Sorin Cirneala on February 6th, 2013
Light Alloy is a compact media player designed to help you play most of the popular multimedia formats. It provides you with a clear interface that displays all the basic media information and includes the basic controls for playback.
The program comes with a set of built-in codecs that enables you to start playing media content immediately after the installation. The app provides you with the most important ones in order to use the player right away but also allows you to use the codecs installed on your computer during the installation.
It supports high quality video content such as DVD/Bluray discs, MKV files and MP4 movies. The subtitle support is embedded in the initial installation and allows you to adjust the timing in order to synchronize them with the video playback.
The layout of the main window presents you with a progress bar, volume control and playlist editor. A nice addition is the current time indicator that also allows you to shut down the computer at the end of the playlist.
Although the general aspect is simple, Light Alloy includes a plethora of customization options that can be adjusted to accommodate your needs. It supports skins and allows you to change the aspect of the interface or the OSD menu.
This player is designed to improve your experience by facilitating the media playback control. It provides you with a large list of customizable keyboard shortcuts and integrated WinLIRC support.
In our tests, the program required insignificant resources to open and play various video files. It loads almost instantly and maintains the playlist preferences from the previous usage.
The flexible interface, fast loading time and remote controlling options recommend Light Alloy as a reliable media player for your computer.
Light Alloy description
Here are some key features of "Light Alloy":
· Highly optimised visual interface for speed and usability
· Support almost all multimedia formats: AVI, DivX, MP3
· DVD Support (only with MPEG-2 decoder installed)
· Ability to take screenshots of movie
· Ultimate video control: Zoom, aspect ratio, brightness, contrast, sharpness
· Playback speed control
· Windowed and fullscreen playback with custom resolutions
· Ability to play broken AVI files (or partially downloaded)
· Automatic detection of the codec needed
· Customizable keyboard and mouse actions
· AVISynth filters support
· Playlist with bookmarks
· Multilingual interface: English, French, German and other languages included.
· Subtitles support: *.SUB,*.SRT,*.SSA
· Ultimate subtitles control: position, font, color, transparency, background
· Useful OSD(On-Screen-Display) information
· Skinnable: many skins to download from site.
· Multi-audio media support
· External audio tracks
· WinAMP general plugins support
· Seamless joins splitted video
· Multimedia and system-wide keys support
· Infrared Remotes support: (WinLIRC)
· Drag-and-drop support
· Commandline parameters support
· Context menu quick media information
· Optional sound stream resampling
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Updated languages, Polish Light Alloy guide.
· Use EVR CA as default renderer for WinVista and newer.
· Position subtitles relatively to videoframe* didn't work on video restart.
· Fixed crash without logo available.
· Fixed crash in subtitles explorer.
· Fixed *Play disc* function in drop down menu.
· Seek to last play position* didn't work for dvd since RC-2. Now it works.
· AviSynth was broken since RC-2, now it fixed.
· Other issues were fixed that was found in v4.7.0 RC-3.
· CPUID: support for SSE 4.2 / AVX
· Do not build video graph when playing audio files with Live Preview enabled.
· Fixed video playback with Rotate tag (video picture was mirrored).