Softpedia Editor's Review for Xtreme Media Player
A nice media player
Written by Elena Opris on January 9th, 2013
Xtreme Media Player is a program designed to help you play audio tracks in a user-friendly environment. It supports several file types, including WAV, MP3, OGG, FLAC, AU and MP2.
The interface of the application is clean and pretty intuitive. Audio tracks can be imported from the hard drive by using either the file browser or the 'drag and drop' method. But you can also open music from URL.
The file list displays the track number, title, duration, artist, album and genre of each item. So, you can use some basic audio player functions, such as pause and stop, create a playlist, go to the next or previous track, adjust the volume and navigate back and forth within the song.
Additional features of Xtreme Media Player include a search function; you can enable repeat or shuffle mode, randomize items in the playlist, save the playlist and switch to visualization mode.
From the 'Preferences' screen you can change the interface skin and language, disable UI effects, make Xtreme Media Player automatically check for program updates at startup, change the default cache directory and select the audio playback device.
The audio player needs a moderate amount of CPU and system memory, supports keyboard shortcuts and has a good response time. We haven't come across any issues in our tests; Xtreme Media Player did not freeze, crash or display error popups. Thanks to its intuitive layout, Xtreme Media Player can be seamlessly handled, even by less experienced users.
Xtreme Media Player description
Here are some key features of "Xtreme Media Player":
· support for different audio formats: mpeg audio (mp3), ogg vorbis, flac, speex, wav, aiff (aifc, aif), au (snd).
· support for playlist formats like xspf, m3u and pls.
· remote music playback via url.
· read general tag info from diferent audio formats (title, artist , album, genre, track number, year, comments)
· read specific tag info depending on the audio format
· retrieve current song title from shoutcast streaming radios
· player control panel (play/pause, stop, previous, next, volume controls)
· playlist manager panel with drag and drop support
· multilanguage support (English, Français, Italiano)
· skinnable interface
· swing based graphical interface
· keyboard shortcuts
· interaction with Microsoft Intellitype commands (Windows only)
· spectrum bars
· volume meter
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· NEW - Windows Installer with single instance support
· NEW - User can sort the playlist by the track number, track title, track duration, track artist, track album, track genre
· NEW - Select which playlist columns to display by right clicking on the new playlist table header
· NEW - Change the order of the playlist columns by dragging them with the mouse
· NEW - Added Spanish locale (Español)
· NEW - Added keyboard shotcuts to change visualization (Shft+Left, Shift+Right in window mode; Left, Right in fulscreen mode)
· IMPROVED - Fork MPEG, VORBIS and FLAC decoders in order to provide more up-to-date audio decoders
· IMPROVED - Playlist API was redisigned to support sorting and filtering features
· IMPROVED - A newer implementation for the Audio Visualization System. This update also fixes some issues in fullscreen mode
· IMPROVED - Faster reading of tag data from different audio formats
· IMPROVED - Change the playing mode by clicking on the icon in the bottom left corner of the main frame
· IMPROVED - ...
| ||Softpedia guarantees that Xtreme Media Player 0.7.0 is 100% FREE, which means it does not contain any form of malware, including spyware, viruses, trojans and backdoors. [read more >] |