Softpedia Editor's Review for AMCap
A small yet fully functional video capture application
Written by Andreea Matei on February 26th, 2013
AMCap is a powerful application that can facilitate the previewing and recording of webcam and camcorder devices. The program is compatible with Microsoft DirectShow and is capable to deliver high-quality recordings.
There are a wide array of webcam recording applications in today’s market, but the best choice is always a compromise between price, ease of use and performance. One application that fits this pattern is AMCap.
This program can record both video and audio sources and features analog TV tuner support. It can work with multiple monitors and is able to compress the recordings to AVI or WMV format.
AMCap’s developers saw simplicity and ease of use as priorities when they rolled out the application, which translated (and still does) into a pleasant experience for the end user. Everything is easy to understand and follow, starting with the installation process (which requires you to press a few Next buttons) and ending with the GUI, which makes an impression though a very good management of resources and space.
The incorporated menus hold all the features that make it a keeper, while a larger area is reserved for the recording itself. Not to mention that AMCap automatically recognizes the camera (webcam / camcorder / USB camera) that is currently plugged in and starts transmitting the images that are being filmed.
The application is also able to record from an audio source, thus making it possible to produce home-made movies accompanied by sounds. Other features include alpha-blended overlay video capabilities, full screen mode, deinterlacing support, digital zoom, to name just a few.
All in all, AMCap can make the most of webcam, allowing you to record anything you want from a simple and user-friendly environment that both beginners and professionals will appreciate.
Here are some key features of "AMCap":
· DV camcorder playback and recording.
· improved MPEG-2 playback and recording.
· improved analog TV tuner support.
· still capture in BMP, JPEG and PNG formats with optional caption, timestamp and overlay (with or without transparency and alpha-blending).
· optional real-time compression (Windows Media or any installed CODECs).
· remember video input, standard, size and many other options from previous session.
· full screen mode.
· support for multi-monitor and deinterlacing (using Video Mixing Renders 7 and 9).
· GDI+: GdiPlus.dll is required. On Windows 2000, 98 and ME, you need to install the redistributable file
· DirectX 9.0
· Internet Explorer 5
· The unregistered version does not include a new stillcap application that allows you to easily make still captures from a script, an application, a Command window, the task scheduler, etc.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· maintenance build.
· improves Windows 7 compatibility.