Softpedia Editor's Review for Bitmeter
Graphical Bandwidth Meter with many features
Written by Bogdan Popa on January 30th, 2013
Read an in-depth analysis in our professional review for Bitmeter
Bitmeter is a bandwidth meter application designed to keep an eye on your download and upload rates, providing a handful of useful statistics via a very user-friendly interface.
Thus, the application helps you monitor connection speed, but Internet traffic as well and can lend you a hand when trying to detect malicious software that may reside on your computer.
It sports excellent features, starting with real-time updates that inform you of download and upload rates at any given moment with the help of an eye-candying floating window.
Although in most cases a floating window is quite annoying, this isn't the case with Bitmeter, because the application comes with a dedicated “Click Through” feature that makes the window “invisible” to all clicks.
In other words, it will be displayed on the screen but it won't react to your clicks, and all actions will be applied to the content underneath the floating window.
As said, Bitmeter shows real-time statistics, but it also comprises more detailed figures to show you download and upload stats in the last few hours, days and months. Of course, you can view a summary as well and the interval is fully configurable.
Another great feature allows you to set up alerts when some pre-defined limits are reached, be they related to speed, volume or traffic.
Last but not least, Bitmeter comes in handy to all dial-up users with limited data accounts, allowing them to configure ISP restrictions to make sure they do not exceed the available traffic.
Overall, Bitmeter is definitely one of the best tools in this particular software category, aimed at all user categories in the audience.
Here are some key features of "Bitmeter":
· History - your upload and download totals are continuously logged, allowing you see how much bandwidth you have used over the last few hours, days and months. This data can also be viewed graphically, or as a set of detailed reports showing the exact figures.
· Alerts - configure an alert to notify you when your speed drops below a certain level, or when you have downloaded a certain amount of data, useful if you need to know when a download has completed, but don't want to sit there watching it...
· Calculator - work out how long it will take to download a file, or how much you can transfer in a given time. The built-in bandwidth calculator is easy to use, and works as you type!
· On screen stopwatch
· Comprehensive help file included
· Full configurable appearance: change colour, shape, size and even transparency
· Bitmeter can float on top of other windows so it's always visible, or hide in the system tray displaying your speed via an animated icon
· Selectively enable monitoring of individual network cards
· .NET Framework 1.1 or later
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Bug fix to prevent spike in readings following sleep or hibernation
· Croatian translation
· Updated codebox update URL