Softpedia Editor's Review for NetView
A free and useful TCP/IP local network manager
Written by Bogdan Popa on February 2nd, 2012
NetView is a powerful TCP/IP local network manager that provides information about the network computers through a very user friendly interface.
The application automatically scans the network and displays the available machines alongside important information such as hostname, IP address, server comment, connection, custom comment, last open and last change.
Because everything has to be easy to use, NetView provides multiple viewing modes, including list, details, visual plan and visual map.
Right clicking one of the found systems opens a new menu that allows you to send a message, add host, recheck or retrace, access resources or view properties, with this last option providing not only the IP address, but also the MAC, opened ports and LanMan information.
NetView is a very handy tool if you wish to monitor various services or hosts because the application lets you schedule a certain task, including pinging or rescanning a port, at a defined interval.
The “Tools” menu lends users a hand by offering numerous utilities, as it follows: NetSearcher, Terminal, NetProxy, NetWatcher, network scanner, IP logger, resources scanner, NetMessenger, TraceRoute and scripts editor. With pretty self-explanatory names, all these tools are supposed to be used to retrieve more information about either the whole network or specific computers.
Another good thing about NetView is the fact that it offers a comprehensive help manual, so it's pretty easy to find information on a specific feature just by clicking on “Help”.
NetView works flawlessly on all Windows versions and needs just a moderate amount of computer resources to perform all tasks.
All in all, NetView is a very useful piece of software and not only that it comes with a freeware license, but it also adopts a very user friendly approach.
Here are some key features of "NetView":
· Using of file where all network information is stored and regular rechecking of hosts's state by PING, port scaning and sending ARP requests allows to see ALL computers of network even if usual network browsing is not correctly functioning. You can adjust program setting to achive maximum starting-up speed or even start it as service.
· Plug-ins support. As result - practically unlimited possibilities of the extention of the program. Some small plug-ins are installed with NetView, other you can find on the web-site
· Support pascal-like scripts using most of the possibilities of the plug-ins API interface. Innerfuse Pascal Script Engine is used .
· There is API for referencing to given NetView from outside programs. Also NetView allows other program to keep absolutely any information about hosts due to special organizations of hostlist.
· Can work as service under Windows 2000/XP/2003. No additional programs is required for installing NetView as service - this possibility is included in the preferences window of NetView.
· Can be used as tool for creation network map. NetView can show hosts as animated or static images (gif and bmp formats supported) placed on any background image. You can also add colored lines and rectangle areas on the map and set any texture on background.
· Can open hosts by their names or IP addresses wich can be much faster on some systems like Windows 2000.
· Can open also HTTP and supports FTP transparently as NETBIOS when searching resources or files.
· You can set individual settings for checking hosts states (using ping, port scanning, or simple dependency on the state of another host
· Popup menu Shares with the list of shares and 1st level FTP foders on the host. Quick and very handy when browsing network.
· Use can get much information (like IP and MAC addresses, LanMan information, opened ports) about any host using right-click/Properties.
· Opening of the computer occurs in different thread to prevent locking of the program interface
· NetView can recheck states of the hosts every specified time interval.
· You can monitor different services or simple state of the hosts by choosing what ports should be scanned on recheck or simple use pinging host to determine is it online.
· Program can be minimized to the system notification area (near tray-clock).
· Can display hosts in different color depends on its states.
· Built-in NetSearcher - searcher of the files and folders on the network NETBIOS and FTP resources. Can generate filelist in HTML or any other kind (templates and scripts support) - you can orginize global LAN searching engine using NetView NetSearcher.
· Built-in NetWatcher - monitor of NETBIOS connections with possibility of logging all resources accessing and manual and automatical kicking-out undesirable users.
· You can quickly hide\open shared resources.
· NetWork Scaner wich can scan ranges of IPs with many scan modes - TCP, UDP, PING, ARP, DNS quering. You can find all hosts of you network with it and then add they to the main hostlist using context-menu.
· IP logger show all opened ports and estabilished connections, can also logs they to the file.
· PortListener (not work on 9x) - this tool can be used as simple detector of port scanning. Scan chaser will powerfully obstruct hacker's life. PortListener can start scripts to serve connections and emluate services or trojans. Also this feature can be used to write your own implementation services. By the way simple HTTP server script is included with NetView. It can be used to access HTTP resources (HTML pages, files for downlod) on your computer from remote hosts.
· Terminal can be used to connect to remote ports then send and receive data via TCP connection. It supports scripts.
· ShareScaner quickly creates full NETBIOS and FTP network resources list
· NetMessenger - is GUI substitute for command line "net send" with some extra features.
· TraceRoute - simple GUI tracert with advanced possibility to trace route by sending TCP SYN packets.
· You can view hostlist as detailed grid, list, visual map or even automatically create route-map (using traceroute)
· Port mapper - simple tool, allowing redirect connections to specified ports from your computer to another with logging of all transferred data.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· [FIXED] Starting of NetView on the system with working beta version of KIS (Kaspersky) could cause network down
· [FIXED] Incorrect lines moving on Visual Map
· [FIXED] Hosts positions on Visual Map and Plan was not matched
· [FIXED] NetProxy: local address was not saved in presets
| ||Softpedia guarantees that NetView 2.94 is 100% CLEAN, which means it does not contain any form of malware, including spyware, viruses, trojans and backdoors. [read more >] |
|Go to top|