Softpedia Editor's Review for LAN Speed Test
A useful application that will test the speed of your Local Area Network
Written by Bogdan Popa on March 16th, 2012
LAN Speed Test is a straightforward Windows software tool designed to test the speed of your Local Area Network, relying on an intuitive user approach and a limited number of configuration options.
Since it's a network tool, it's extremely important to know how to deal with rookies, so LAN Speed Test tries to make everything a bit easier with a very simple interface and a few settings.
It's impossible to get lost in the main window because it holds all details concerning the speed test, while also displaying computer name, IP and MAC addresses. You're prompted to configure the folder or server IP to perform the test, as well as the number of test packets, with values ranging in between 1 and 100.
The results of the tests are again displayed right in the main window, which means you can see stats regarding packet length, average time per packet, time to complete, bytes per second and bits per second.
A small dedicated configuration screen is also available, again with a great amount of information on the available options, enabling you to choose the test packet size and to turn on the debug window.
Last but not least, LAN Speed Test comes with a dedicated tool for scanning the network, displaying each computer in the LAN together with IP address, MAC address and name.
A comprehensive help file is also included in the package, providing detailed information on every single feature and thus lending a hand to beginners who may need assistance throughout the speed test.
Overall, LAN Speed Test is a very handy piece of software, being able not only to log all the information, but also to export results to CSV files. Plus, it works just fine on all Windows versions and doesn't affect system performance.
LAN Speed Test description
Here are some key features of "LAN Speed Test":
· Very Fast! Most tests are less than 1 minute
· Progress window that displays progress bar and allows user to cancel at any time
· New LST Server support for a more accurate True network speed without hard drive limitations - Even test WAN (internet) speed with LST Server
· New Logging Capabilities
· Scheduling runs now an option with logging and new Command Line format
· New Open/Save option to .csv file
· Individual profiles automatically saved to .ini file to remember all settings
· Selectable Speed Measurements
· Command Line Mode (Allows network administrators to start the test from the client's workstation and view the log file from anywhere on the network)
· Doesn't show the full test results, unless registered
· Nag screen
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· When in continuous mode, and there is an error on the current test, do not wait for an acknowledgement from the user - just log it and continue
· When in continuous mode, and there is an error on the current test, do not end the current job - just log it, and continue
· When email notifications set to below xxxxx - Errors were not always triggering the system to send an email alert - now they are
· Add status to Email & Print Out
· Add RTT (Round Trip Time to LST Server) to log