This Beta 1 release of the Article Authoring Add-in for Microsoft Word 2007 will provide authors of scientific articles with the ability to read and write files from Word 2007 into the XML format used by the National Library of Medicine for archiving articles in the U.S. National Institutes of Health (NIH) free digital archive of biomedical and life sciences journal literature, PubMed Central.
This Beta 1 release is targeted at the staff of scientific and technical journals, Information Repositories, and early adopters within the scholarly authoring community, as well as developers of publishing solutions and workflows.
In addition, the add-in enables or simplifies a number of activities that are part of the authoring and scholarly publishing process, such as:
· gathering information about the author and article at the time of article authoring
· enabling journals to provide authors with templates containing the structure for articles, and provide information for self classification of the articles by the authors
· enabling access to the author and article metadata contained in the Word file, through the use of the NLM tagset and Open XML document structure
· enabling the editorial staff to have access to the article and journal metadata directly within Word
· enabling two-way conversion between Open XML and the NLM format
· Microsoft Word 2007