Softpedia Editor's Review for Large Text File Viewer
A tool created for viewing large (>1GB) text files
Written by Bogdan Popa on March 28th, 2012
Large Text File Viewer is an application designed to open large text documents with sizes that exceed 1GB.
Although opening such a document usually needs a lot of time and hardware resources, Large Text File Viewer promises to do everything faster and without stressing up the computer too much.
And truth is, it pretty much manages to do this, although the interface may disappoint some of the users.
With a clean but a way too simple look, Large Text File Viewer shows the content of a text document, while performing file indexing in the background to make sure you can browse the content without any interruption.
In addition, it provides an advanced search utility that works like a charm on larger documents, despite the fact that most applications usually need much more time to perform such a task.
A settings menu is also available, allowing you to change the default font, style and size, but also the colors of the main window. For a bit more tweaking power, Large Text File Viewer also offers a dedicated feature to change the background image and thus make the interface more user friendly.
With drag and drop also supported, Large Text File Viewer indeed runs blazing fast, without hampering system performance at all. It all goes very smooth on all Windows versions.
Overall, Large Text File Viewer is clearly a handy tool that manages large documents in an unique way. Still, it needs some improvements, especially in the interface department, as users always prefer more appealing layouts with eye-candy elements.
Large Text File Viewer description
Here are some key features of "Large Text File Viewer":
· It uses little memory and is able to open a gigabyte file instantly.
· Background file indexing makes browsing even faster.
· It allows the user to perform high-speed complex text search by means of plain text or regular expression. The regular expression syntax is slightly different from the standard ones.
· The program opens and displays both ANSI and Unicode text files
· Display parameters are automatically saved and associated with filename extensions.
· It supports mouse wheel.
· You may use drag-and-drop to open a text file. The program remembers recently opened files.
· It remembers the window position/size of the previous run.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
Several bugs from version 5.1 have been fixed. Once again, many thanks to the prompt bug reports from the LTF Viewer users. One major bug is:
· The program hangs while reading files with large average line length.