Softpedia Editor's Review for Microsoft PowerPoint 2010
Turn your ideas into impactful presentations
Written by Andreea Matei on January 22nd, 2013
Microsoft PowerPoint is a straightforward presentation program designed to create dynamic slideshows for all types of audiences. PowerPoint is used at a large scale worldwide, by small organizations, such as schools and universities, as well as large companies and even branches of the government.
Although available as a separate download package, Microsoft PowerPoint is also part of a much larger suite of applications, namely Microsoft Office. While PowerPoint is available at about one fourth of Office’s full price, critics are continuously arguing Microsoft’s steep figures. On the bright side, the presentations created with PowerPoint can be viewed for free with Microsoft PowerPoint Viewer.
Overall, PowerPoint is an interactive slideshow creation program. It allows you to create an unlimited number of slides that you can tie together using a generous selection of transitions, animations and effects.
Aside from the text formatting / editing options specific to any other Office application, PowerPoint offers a rich collection of shapes, cliparts, text boxes, WordArt items and table drawing possibilities that you can use to enhance the slideshow’s appearance and to stress important aspects.
In addition, PowerPoint features video and photo editing capabilities, which means you no longer need an external image processor to achieve this. The application provides you with tools to customize color saturation, contrast, brightness, as well as artistic filters such as blur, watercolor and various brushes.
You can record your slideshows to video files in various resolution configurations, as well as use the ‘Rehearse Timings’ application to count presentation intervals.
What’s more, the co-authoring feature allows multiple users to work on the same document without interrupting each other. You can use this in collaboration with Office Communicator if you wish to check out the availability of those who are editing the slideshow with you.
All in all, PowerPoint is worth trying out. The extensive collection of templates, transitions, animations and effects assists users in creating presentations that are easy on the eye. Although Microsoft has been criticized for PowerPoint’s negative effects on society (some argue that information becomes too condensed), the program’s popularity says it all.
Microsoft PowerPoint 2010 description
Here are some key features of "Microsoft PowerPoint 2010":
Bring more energy and visual impact to your presentations:
· Save time and money by applying sophisticated photo effects without using additional photo-editing software programs. Transform your images into compelling, vibrant visuals by using new and improved picture editing features such as color saturation and temperature, brightness and contrast, and an advanced cropping tool, along with artistic filters such as blur, paintbrush and watercolor.
Work with others without waiting your turn:
· PowerPoint 2010 redefines the way people can work together on presentations. With co-authoring, you can simultaneously edit the same presentation with others in different locations. You can also use Office Communicator or your instant messaging application to view the availability of others who are authoring a presentation with you and easily initiate a conversation without leaving PowerPoint.
Add a personalized video experience:
· Embed and edit video files directly in PowerPoint 2010. Easily trim your video to show only relevant sections. Bookmark key points in a video for quick access or trigger animation to begin automatically when those bookmarks are reached. You can also set the video to fade in and out at specified intervals and apply a variety of video styles and effects — such as reflections, bevels and 3-D rotation — to help you quickly capture your audience’s attention.
Imagine just-in-time show and tell:
· Instantly broadcast your PowerPoint 2010 presentations by sending a link to where people can view your presentation on the Web. Your audience sees your slides in high fidelity, even if they don’t have PowerPoint installed. You can also create a high-quality video of your presentation, including narration, to share with virtually anyone through e-mail, via the Web or on DVD.
Access your presentations from more locations and on more devices:
· Post your presentations online and then access, view and edit them from the Web4 or your Windows phone.3 With PowerPoint 2010, you can get things done according to your schedule.
Get things done faster:
· PowerPoint 2010 simplifies how you access features. The new Microsoft® Office Backstage view replaces the traditional file menu to let you save, share, print and publish your presentations with just a few clicks. And, with the improved Ribbon, you can access your favorite commands even more quickly by customizing tabs or creating your own to personalize the experience to your work style.
· Processor: 500 megahertz (MHz) processor or higher.
· Memory: 256 megabyte (MB) RAM or higher
· Hard Disk: 1.5 GB; a portion of the disk space will be freed after installation if the original download package is removed from the hard drive.
· Drive: CD-ROM or DVD drive
· Display: 1024x768 or higher resolution monitor.
· 60 days trial