Softpedia Editor's Review for Microsoft Project Professional
Manage a wide range of projects and programs
Written by Andreea Matei on April 16th, 2013
Microsoft Project Professional is a powerful and reliable platform designed for project management and analysis. It delivers easy planning and collaboration, task prioritization and visually compelling presentations that allow teams to be more efficient and productive.
Microsoft Project Professional is part of the Microsoft Office family, but it was never delivered with the suite. Although shipped in an individual package, the product preserves the look and feel of the Office release, with a classy, professional appearance and a practical approach brought by the ribbon-based interface.
What makes it a top product is the flexibility that results from the intuitive and user-friendly controls. Project managers are assisted in developing plans, assigning various resources with the possibility to track the overall evolution of the tasks. This leads to an effective analysis of the workload, which is the key to successfully managing the budget assigned for a particular project.
Although projects can be started from scratch, an easier approach is to browse and select from the Project Templates offered by Microsoft, which cover a wide array of aspects for any business. No matter the size of the project, you can gain full control over it via timelines and Gantt charts, which offer a quick overview of the team’s progress.
Measuring the evolution, as well as the resource allocation is made easier with the aid of the rich reporting tools, which can be customized to fit any requirement. Furthermore, the Team Planner feature assists project managers in anticipating the problems that could impact the schedule, allowing them to make the necessary changes before the workloads are affected.
Sharing is facilitated via the Lync feature, which allows for instant calls or messaging among project participants. In addition, the projects can be accessed from virtually anywhere via the Office 365 and SharePoint integration.
Last, but not least, managers can rely on the built-in presentation features that can be used to emphasize the strongest points of a project when bringing it to be evaluated by stakeholders or executives.
To sum up, Microsoft Project Professional is the go-to solution for project management. The rich templates, together with the collaboration, reporting and presentation tools are more than sufficient to assist teams in delivering a winning project.
Microsoft Project Professional description
Here are some key features of "Microsoft Project Professional":
Better, more productive experiences:
· New task-based graphical menus with familiar and essential functions make it easy to create and manage projects. Combining the ease of a tool like Microsoft Excel with the powerful Project scheduling engine, Project Professional puts you in control.
Easier to see and share:
· With a completely new and visually enhanced timeline view, you'll have a clearer view of tasks, milestones and phases. Expanded color palettes and text effects help you make every timeline visually effective to see and share important dates and deliverables.
Resource managing at-a-glance:
· See the right mix of people and resources — simply drag and drop to effectively plan tasks for your entire team and project. Quickly solve problems by identifying unscheduled or unassigned tasks and be visually alerted to potential problems.
Connect and collaborate:
· Connect your teams with Microsoft SharePoint Foundation synchronization so team members can easily update task status. Add Microsoft Project Server and get the capabilities of end-to-end project and portfolio management.
· Computer and processor: 700 MHz processor or higher.
· Memory: 512 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher.
· Hard disk: 1.5 gigabyte (GB); a portion of this disk space will be freed after installation if the original download package is removed from the hard drive.
· Display: 1024x768 or higher resolution monitor.
· 60 days trial
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· The Ribbon makes finding and using your favorite tools simpler with new graphical menus and a familiar experience so you can create and manage projects easily. In the new Microsoft Office Backstage TM view – save, share, print and publish your projects with just one click.
Simply more productive:
· Like other Microsoft Office applications, save time and effort with familiar and essential functions like text wrapping, filtering, auto-complete, scroll and zoom and more. Insert new columns on the fly – data types are readily identified so you can quickly organize and analyze details effectively.
Flexible and powerful:
· Bringing together the flexibility and ease of a tool like Microsoft Excel 2010 with the power of the Project Professional 2010 scheduling engine, user-controlled scheduling puts you in control.
Easier to see and share:
· With a completely new and visually enhanced timeline view, you’ll have a clearer view of tasks, milestones, and phases. New...