Softpedia Editor's Review for PDF Viewer for Windows 8
A light-weight yet powerful PDF Viewer to open and read PDF files on Windows 8
Written by Gabriela Vatu on April 8th, 2013
While there are numerous document file formats available on the market, most are difficult to open unless you own the program that was used to create them. However, the PDF file format stands out since it can be opened by freeware tools and most other document formats can be converted into PDF.
PDF Viewer for Windows 8 is a nice program that can be used to open and read PDF files. The app has a simple interface and a clean layout, making it easy to figure out by all users, thanks to the intuitive layout.
As mentioned, this tool can be used to open and navigate through PDF documents. These can be viewed in three modes: “Actual size”, “Fit Page” or “Fit Width”.
You also have access to several buttons that grant easy navigation such as going to the next and previous pages, as well as to the beginning and end of the document. For an easier read-through, you may make use of the zoom in and zoom out buttons.
Printing and converting the PDF to several file formats is also possible. The app supports several output file types, such as TXT, JPG, GIF, PNG, BMP, WMF, EMF and TIFF.
The bottom line is that PDF Viewer for Windows 8 is a nice tool that can be quite useful to have installed on the computer. Less experienced individuals should find it easy to handle, thanks to the intuitive layout and its overall simplicity.
PDF Viewer for Windows 8 description
Here are some key features of "PDF Viewer for Windows 8":
View and Print PDF:
· Open, view, read, and print Adobe PDF files of all versions.
· PDF Viewer for Windows 8 sports three reading modes, Fit Page, Center Page, and Continuous.
· In Center Page view, only one whole page will be seen at a time and you must use the navigational controls to move from page to page.
· In Fit Page view, PDF Viewer will display one page of the current document at screen height page by page.
· In Continuous view, only one whole page will be seen at a time, but you can scroll through the document continuously, with the start of the next page being visually attached to the end of the current page.
· Interestingly, navigation varies depending on which view mode is used.
· In Continuous view, you can swipe left and right, use the left and right arrow keys, or click the pop-up, browser-like navigational controls that appear to move through the document. But in Center Page and Fit Page view, PDF Viewer behaves like a traditional document-based, traditional Windows application and utilizes vertical navigation instead. In this mode, you can move through the document by pressing PAGE UP or PAGE DOWN key, or by utilizing the scroll bars that appear on the right side of the application.
· Zooming works as it does elsewhere: with Delete (zoom out) and Insert (zoom in) keyboard shortcuts, or from the menu, you can zoom to any percentage.
· You can optionally rotate the current document clockwise or anticlockwise. PDF page can be viewed in different angles thanks to the fast rotation algorithm.
Enhanced Mouse Wheel Scrolling:
· Scroll your mouse wheel up and down to view PDF pages.
Full Screen Reading:
· Make pdf documents be read at the screen width, or screen height, or actual size.
· Native PDF viewer maximizes your desktop user experience without the need to switch between Class UI (Windows Desktop) and Metro UI (Slate).
· Convert PDF to TXT, PDF to JPG, PDF to GIF, PDF to PNG, PDF to BMP, PDF to EPS, PDF to WMF, PDF to EMF, PDF to TIFF page by page.
Work with 86 different languages:
· PDF files with Asian, Hebrew, Arabic et al fonts can be opened and viewed without difficulty. Unicode support for worldwide languages.
Slide show PDF document in full screen mode:
· PDF document can be viewed in slide show and/or in full screen mode.
Extract text and images from PDF files:
· Text and images in PDF document can be extracted and saved to the location of your preferences. Unlike some other free PDF reader, this feature available in our PDF Viewer is totally free!
· PDF Viewer doesn't provide editing capabilities, per se. But you can crop or copy the entire content on any page as a high-resolution image, and then paste the image to other applications. Rotation changes are not saved.
Light-Weight PDF Reader:
· PDF Viewer is a light-weight PDF reader, only 1 MB in size, and it performances a lot faster than Adobe Reader and Windows Reader.
· PDF Viewer for Windows 8 is backward compatible with Microsoft Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP.
· Workstation with at least 128MB RAM
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Add support for Windows 8 64-bit and Windows 8 32-bit