Softpedia Editor's Review for Notepad2
A small and fast editor with syntax highlighting for HTML and other common languages
Written by Alexandru Teodorovici on December 1st, 2011
Read an in-depth analysis in our professional review for Notepad2
Notepad is a simple and small text editing tool that's always been easy-to-use and accessible to all types of users.
Notepad2 is a an application that gets installed over the classic Notepad and tries to bring to the table a couple of improvements such as syntax highlighting, search and replace for regular expressions or the ability to open shell links.
Speed and ease of use are the main strong points of Notepad, the program's second version keeps these two major features and adds something on the side, such as syntax highlighting.
Another feature that can come in handy is the ability to drag and drop text. Simply put, with the help of this feature you can copy your text from one location into Notepad2 and vice-versa, just like in Microsoft Word.
Rectangular selection is also possible now. With the help of the Alt button and your left mouse click you can select your text under the form of a rectangle.
Word Wrap function has been preserved and more than that, now you can edit the wrap settings. You are also able to zoom in and out of your text and add indentation guides.
There are a lot of functions that are specially built to make your editing life easier. For example, you can now set the program to always stay on top, make the window transparent, change the function of the Esc key or change the way the window title is displayed.
And if you're still not satisfied, you should know that you can also customize the app's toolbar.
Notepad2 is a welcomed refresh to the classic program. The bunch of new features combined with the speed and ease of use make out of it a real solid text editor.
Here are some key features of "Notepad2":
Customizable syntax highlighting:
· C/C++, C#, Java, VB, Pascal, Assembler, SQL
· INI, REG, INF, BAT, DIFF
· Drag & drop text editing inside and outside Notepad2
· Basic regular expression search and replace
· Useful word, line and block editing shortcuts
· Rectangular selection (Alt+Mouse)
· Brace matching, auto indent, long line marker, zoom functions
· Support for Unicode, UTF-8, Unix and Mac text files
· Open shell links
· Mostly adjustable
· Filenames with Unicode characters are not supported. Only filenames containing ANSI characters from the system ANSI code page are supported.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Fixed selection history (broken since Notepad2 5.0.26-beta3)
· Auto-detection of indentation settings is disabled by default