Softpedia Editor's Review for Kindle for PC
Read Kindle books on your PC-no Kindle required
Written by Mihaela Citea on January 10th, 2013
Read an in-depth analysis in our professional review for Kindle for PC
Kindle for PC is a handy and easy to use application that you can use to read Kindle books using your computer, without needing a Kindle device.
In order to use it, you need to have a registered Amazon account, as the application prompts you to login right at startup. The interface is simple, allowing you to browse your book library and manage your collections.
Double-clicking on any book opens it for reading. Navigating is easy, as the table of contents can help you jump to the desired chapter and you can use the 'Search' function to easily find a phrase or a location. There are two different methods for turning pages: using the mouse scroll wheel or the keyboard arrow keys.
Users can easily change the font size, set the number of words per line, adjust the brightness and modify the color mode or even place the text on two different columns in order to enhance the reading experience. Full screen mode is also available.
In addition to this, users can take notes, highlight text sections and add bookmarks in order to remember important book sections. Also, you can view passages that are most frequently highlighted by other users.
The program features a handy dictionary that can display complete definitions when a word is selected, but you can also search it online directly from the application.
One of the advantages that this software comes with refers to the synchronization functionality. For instance, if you have a Kindle device or you are using Kindle on your iPhone (with the same registered Amazon account), this feature helps you synchronizes your bookmarks, annotations and the last page read, so that you pick up where you left off when switching between devices.
If you do not own a Kindle device, but you want to read your favorite digital books, Kindle for PC is the tool for you. Ease of use, together with its customization and sync features make it a great tool for reading e-books.
Kindle for PC description
Here are some key features of "Kindle for PC":
· Purchase, download and read hundreds of thousands of books available in the Kindle Store
· Read the beginning of any book for free before they buy
· Access their library of previously purchased Kindle books stored on Amazon’s servers for free
· Read books in full color including children’s books, cookbooks, travel books, textbooks and graphic novels
· Choose from more than 10 different font sizes and adjust words per line
· Add and automatically synchronize bookmarks and last page read
· View notes and highlights marked on Kindle, Kindle DX, iPhone, and iPod touch
· Zoom in and out of text with a pinch of the fingers (Windows 7 users only)
· Turn pages with a finger swipe (available in a future release for Windows 7 users)
· Amazon registered account