OmniPage Professional 18.0
| User Rating:
Softpedia Editor's Review for OmniPage Professional
The most powerful and accurate OCR and document conversion software ever
Written by Andreea Matei on January 22nd, 2013
Being one of the first Optical Character Recognition programs to ever meet the computer market, OmniPage Professional quickly became popular due to its accuracy and conversion speed. Its main purpose is to turn paper documents into editable content in a very effective way.
With fierce competitors such as ABBYY FineReader, OmniPage Professional still manages to preserve its crowd of fans by providing 99% and up conversion precision.
Documents can be scanned, processed, archived and shared in a way that maximizes efficiency and productivity, while minimizing efforts.
It works with most modern scanners or any multifunction device (MDF) printer that you can think of and is able to output in the following formats: PDF, DOC, XML, XLS, PPT, CSV, TXT, XPS (to name a few), as well as Kindle compatible file types.
The product’s list of features is extremely long, but the most important ones include state-of-the art OCR accuracy, batch conversion, turning papers into searchable documents, preserving the original formatting, automatic highlighting with workflows, sharing via cloud storage services, extensive support for over one hundred languages, PDF encryption and compression and page layout reconstruction.
It also includes a proof reading utility, which can be used together with the context specific correction feature in order to avoid language and vocabulary mistakes.
What sets OmniPage Professional apart from similar products is, indeed, as our tests confirmed, the character recognition accuracy. It turns out that it performs best when it deals with text, while tables and other types of complicated layouts were processed with few errors, overall.
The truth is you can’t really decide which OCR software is the best without conducting extensive tests, with hundreds of documents. And even though they concentrate on carrying out the same job, these applications are equipped with different engines and their performance varies from paper to paper. What we can state for sure about OmniPage Professional is that if you give it a try, you may not look the other way ever again.
OmniPage Professional description
Here are some key features of "OmniPage Professional":
- The most accurate conversion in 123 languages: OmniPage's sophisticated multi-engine voting capabilities deliver unprecedented accuracy at a level greater than 99% for 119 different languages.
- Financial, legal and medical recognition: Recognition dictionaries for financial, legal and medical specialties ensure the most accurate conversion of important industry specific terms for documents that utilize this terminology.
- Despeckle module: We know enhancing difficult to read documents dramatically improves recognition. Our sophisticated despeckle module helps to reduce background noise allowing colored, shaded and previously unrecognizable documents to be converted with less human intervention.
- Breakthrough PDF conversion: OmniPage Professional helps you to easily re-purpose information trapped in PDF files by instantly converting them into editable word processing and spreadsheet documents complete with layout, text, graphics and tables. Our PDF Overlay Matching technology provides an accuracy level greater than other solutions for PDF normal and image/text conversion.
- Flowing page output: Flowing page output offers a unique combination of page fidelity and editability that is truer to the original document than competitive OCR products. OmniPage ensures columns, tables, lists and graphics remain in place, while text flows naturally around these embedded objects.
- Superior character matching: Font matching, font-consolidation, size, bold, italics and color background matching accuracy helps cut editing time to a minimum. Matching the individual character attributes ensures your converted documents look as close to the original as possible.
- Superior page analysis: Before recomposing the layout of a document, OCR software must first understand all of the objects on the page and their relationship to one another. OmniPage Professional 16 offers improved detection of individual page objects, in particular tables. This feature ensures tables and spreadsheets, with or without gridlines, are formatted correctly.
- Superior speed: Accomplish more work in less time. OmniPage Professional 16’s improved hyper threading process allows you to power through OCR tasks 20% faster than before. This boost helps make OCR the fastest, most accurate time-saving way to automatically convert documents into more than 30 different formats.
- Multi-core parallel processing: Using today’s popular dual-core and tomorrow’s multi-core computer processors allow you to be even more productive with a dramatic 46%+ boost in speed for less wasted time waiting for OCR processing to finish.
- Form recognition and export: OmniPage now uses Logical Form Recognition technology to process forms. Bring both paper and electronic forms (distributed mainly as PDF files in an office environment) into OmniPage, recognize them and edit their content, layout or both - in True Page view and produce a fillable form that can be saved in the following formats: PDF, RTF, HTML or XSN (Microsoft Office InfoPath format).
- Digital-to-digital document conversion: A major new feature of OmniPage is that it can open not only image files, but also documents created in word-processing and similar applications. Supported file types include: .doc, .xls, .ppt, .rtf, .wpd and others.
- Text, tables and graphics: Most people think of OCR as simply a way to extract text and spreadsheet data from existing documents. Because OmniPage has advanced page segmentation capabilities, it is also a powerful way to re-use pictures, clip-art, graphics and charts within documents. Simply zone-over the area you want to extract, and OmniPage will let you save the content of that area in a wide range of image formats.
- Image format conversion: Images of scanned documents contain a "picture" of the document, which can be viewed but not edited or searched. OmniPage converts static images into documents that can be edited and searched. Support for converting all popular image formats includes: TIF, JPG, BMP, PCX, GIF, PDF, MAX and more.
- Improved multiple-document support: Save additional time by working on multiple documents at once. OmniPage can now open, process, correct and save multiple documents simultaneously.
- Integrated document management tools: Get more organized. OmniPage Professional includes PaperPort, the world’s most popular desktop document management software, and PDF Create software that allows you to create a 100% industry-standard PDF file from any application.
- Direct connection to PaperPort: OmniPage now automatically links up to PaperPort if it is installed so you can bring color images from PaperPort directly into OmniPage to speed up your processing workflow even more.
- Digital camera 3DC technology: Use your digital camera to accurately capture text anywhere. Advanced technology automatically corrects for three-dimensional distortion to ensure the best OCR results possible.
- Automatic data collection from forms: Electronic forms are easier to distribute, fill and process than paper forms. The challenge has always been getting existing paper forms into an electronic format. If you have ever tried to work with electronic forms, you know how slow and frustrating the process can be. The Form Converter feature turns scanned, paper forms into editable electronic PDF, XML, or Microsoft InfoPath forms automatically. OmniPage is a true breakthrough that makes forms easy from start to finish. In short, we've merged the best of our award winning OmniForm product into this best ever OmniPage so you can quickly turn paper forms into electronic forms and then easily collect the data with virtually no typing at all.
- Manual speed zoning: Speed up the manual zoning process by viewing auto-detect zones and double-clicking to select the one you want.
- Concurrent file saving: Now archiving and editing can co-exist in a single step. Save to multiple file formats at the same time. For example, you can save a searchable PDF file for your archive, a Word document for editing and the original image for verification simultaneously.
- Resolution control: Choose your desired resolution for saved images and for images embedded in recognized pages.
- Adjustable speed control: Customize recognition performance by selecting the speed and accuracy settings that are optimized for your needs.
- OPD files: OmniPage document files contain training files, user dictionary and zone information to make follow-up OCR sessions faster and easier than ever before.
- Custom converters: Create custom documents according to your business standards. Document output can be tailored for specific attributes so that each time documents are converted to specific programs they have specific properties pre-selected to minimize required completion work in the target application.
- Direct OCR: Save time by performing OCR from directly within your favorite program. Use OmniPage to place fully formatted text within Word, Excel and many other popular word-processing programs without ever needing to launch OmniPage.
- Automatic redaction: Keep important information confidential by blacking out sensitive words with automatic redaction. Save times, money, and greatly reduces the chances of errors by redacting documents electronically instead of by hand.
- Automatic highlights and strikethroughs: Electronic collaboration is now a breeze. Quickly locate information with applied highlights or communicate an important revision with strikethrough text just like marking up a paper document with a pen or pencil.
- IntelliTrain proofing system: The IntelliTrain proofing system "learns" your editing style by recording your previous text corrections to generate better OCR results in each successive document. Our superior proofing algorithms result in better correction suggestions, handling of hyphenated words and fewer key strokes than competitive products.
- Context specific correction: Confirming the accuracy of questionable words is much easier because suspect words are displayed within a wider context of the document's text to facilitate more accurate corrections.
- Dynamic verification: OmniPage’s proofreading mode provides a more dynamic view of the original document's text image so you do not have to second guess if your corrections are appropriate or not.
- Individual character training: IntelliTrain proofing also allows specific individual characters or symbols to be learned thus ensuring better accuracy in subsequent document conversions.
- RealSpeak voice readback: As the world's leading provider of speech technology, Nuance realizes that text-to-speech functionality can greatly enhance productivity. OmniPage Professional benefits from our market leading technology through audio book publishing. This exciting feature allows you to work faster and leverage information as never before.
- Audio book publishing: Take documents with you wherever you go with OmniPage's Audio Book Publishing. Paper and electronic documents can now be converted into natural sounding audio files for playback or burning to CD. This .wav file output allows any document to be converted into an audio book for portability and convenience.
- Create audio documents from paper and digital documents: OmniPage lets you turn scanned paper, PDF files and even electronic documents into human-sounding audio-documents. Using Nuance RealSpeak, the world’s best text-to-speech technology, you can listen to documents on your PC, from a CD or even on digital music devices. A great productivity tool for professionals on-the-go and for those who experience difficulty reading documents on a computer screen.
- Computer Processor 400 MHz/Windows XP, 1 GHz/Windows Vista, Dual-Core or Quad-Core processor recommended for advanced performance
- 256 MB of memory (RAM), 1GB recommended for advanced performance.
- 230 MB of free hard disk space for the application files and sample images, plus 70 MB working space during installation. An additional 170 MB for RealSpeak(tm) Solo speech modules. 95 MB for PDF Create! 250 MB for PaperPort 11
- 1024x768 pixel color monitor with 16-bit color or greater video card
- CD-ROM drive for installation
- A sound card and speaker for reading text aloud
- A compatible scanner with its own scanner driver software for scanning documents.
- 2-megapixel digital camera with auto-focus or higher for digital camera text capture
- Web access needed for automatic product activation and Scanner Wizard database updating
- Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 for Micorosoft Office 2007 and XPS formats
- Better Performance:
- 67% improved layout accuracy
- 18% improved word accuracy
- 50% more compressed Searchable PDF-MRC files without loosing any word accuracy
- 30% faster processing on multipage PDF documents
- NEW! Start Page provides guidance:
- When OmniPage opens it presents clear options to open or scan documents, open OmniPage Project Documents and provides pre-programmed workflows to take your documents from one format to another in one easy step.
- NEW! Most productive and accurate searchable PDF ever - eDiscovery Assistant for searchable PDF:
- PDF files are everywhere and can come from a variety of sources. They can include scanned pages, embedded images, and other types of information. Many of these elements don’t include searchable text. The new eDiscovery Assistant for searchable PDF is a revolution in safely converting a single PDF or batches of PDFs of all types into completely searchable documents. Now you don’t have to open PDF files one by one, or use an OCR proc...
|Go to top|