Softpedia Editor's Review for Everest Dictionary with databases
Multilanguage dictionary with 35 dictionaries and over 3.000.000 words
Written by Elena Opris on March 27th, 2012
Read an in-depth analysis in our professional review for Everest Dictionary with databases
Translations can be easily performed online nowadays and dictionary software applications have less and less fans, as a direct consequence. More than often, online translation tools are rough on the edges and don’t always perform a flawless job, especially when faced with technical terms or idioms.
Everest Dictionary is a translation utility that bundles 37 different dictionaries that cover all main European languages. It features synonym and antonym databases, as well as a wide array of medical and technical dictionaries.
During the installation process, you can manually select the dictionaries you wish to be installed on the system. The interface looks a bit rusty and old, but on the upside, its simplicity benefits all user categories. In order to properly use the dictionaries, the first step is to load the ones you need from the designated window.
If you select several dictionaries, when you search for a certain word, results are displayed according to the configured dictionary types. You can search for expressions that contain a certain word, whole words, or that start with the search term you entered. The translation speed is amazing, the results are rich and most importantly, correct.
More utilities are available via the tray icon. These include a text translator, an Instant Translator for processing words via right-click, a glossary builder and a little game to help you learn foreign languages in a fun way.
All in all, Everest Dictionary is one of the best we’ve seen in its area. It’s aimed mostly at engineers and scientists, but day-to-day users can benefit from it too. Words can be searched across multiple dictionaries at the same time and the speech agent provides pronunciation for English words.
Everest Dictionary with databases description
Here are some key features of "Everest Dictionary with databases":
· It contain all international communication languages
· The possibility to search words in many dictionaries
· The possibility to search words using an index
· Speech agent; in beta version, only the English words can be correctly listened
· Intuitive aspect
· The search of the words can be particularized
· A double-click on a word will generate the automatic search of the word this command was acting on
· Back button to the definition previously searched
· It monitors the clipboard; in any program, a simple copy of the word to the clipboard using "Copy" command will have as effect the automatic search of the word in dictionary.
· It includes a little window (in order to learn new words), where it is randomly reproduced a word from the load dictionary
· The color of the found words can be particularized.
· Instant translator: translate words using your mouse
· Everest Game: good for testing your knowledge