Softpedia Editor's Review for Google Earth
A free and useful program that lets you to explore, search and discover any location on earth
Written by Bogdan Popa on December 17th, 2012
Read an in-depth analysis in our professional review for Google Earth
Google Earth is a downloadable software solution that comprises satellite imagery and maps with most locations around the world, giving you the power to browse all of them straight from your desktop.
All these amazing things are presented to the user in a simple and clean interface, with the Earth right in the middle. The user can easily zoom in, zoom out or move around using just the mouse, but one can also enter a certain location in the search box on the left to jump directly to it.
It's only a matter of time until you get used to Google Earth and the more you discover, the easier it is to enjoy the powerful functions of this software.
Talking about functions, probably one of the greatest things about Google Earth is its relatively-new Street View option that gets you right on the street thanks to image captured by Google cars. However, you should note that not all locations are included in this view.
Besides this impressive imagery, the application also comes with Flash videos in placemark balloons and also with dedicated tools to search for restaurants, parks and other points of interests quick and easy.
Last but not least, you can always enjoy great 3D views with the help of especially-created buildings in some of the most popular cities in the world, while at the same time you can save and share your favorite locations with just one click.
Although we'd always go for a deeper zoom, Google Earth remains one of the most interesting applications ever created. You can't get bored at all and if you really wish to know the Earth better than anytime before, this application is among the first things to go for.
Google Earth description
Here are some key features of "Google Earth":
· Navigation controls - Look around, move and zoom into any location
· Sun and shadows - View animated shadows as they move across the landscape
· 3D buildings - View hundreds of photo-realistic new buildings in many of the world's cities
· Imagery date information
· Support for new language versions
· Flash videos in placemark balloons
· Fly from space to your neighborhood. Type in an address and zoom right in.
· Search for schools, parks, restaurants, and hotels. Get driving directions.
· Tilt and rotate the view to see 3D terrain and buildings.
· Save and share your searches and favorites. Even add your own annotations.
· CPU: Pentium 3, 500Mhz
· System Memory (RAM): 128MB
· Hard Disk: 400MB free space
· Network Speed: 128 Kbits/sec
· Graphics Card: 3D-capable with 16MB of VRAM
· Screen: 1024x768, "16-bit High Color"
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Polygons and image overlays display over the international dateline
· Performance improvements in Movie Maker and in viewing 3D imagery areas
· Ocean surface displays across Mac clients with Intel GPUs
· Full Map names display in Google Maps Engine maps
· Earth client now supports NTLM authentication for a PAC file
· Fixed Incorrect "Z-order" in rendering overlapped vector layers
Users are advised to pay attention while installing this ad-supported application:
· Offers to install Google Toolbar that the program does not require to fully function
· Displays ad banners or other types of advertising material during its runtime