Softpedia Editor's Review for Lingoes
Translation and dictionary software
Written by Elena Opris on March 22nd, 2012
Lingoes is a software that enables you to easily look up definitions in English. It also supports many languages when it comes to translations, since it's powered by Google Translate.
There is nothing confusing about the tool's interface because it is clean and intuitive. Simply type a word in the area that resembles a web browser's search bar and results will occur as you type.
Furthermore, you can arrange dictionaries that you use, between Essential English Dictionary, Spelling Suggestion, Google Web Definition and others.
But you can also use a search function, copy, save or print the definition of a word, enable Lingoes to capture the word on screen, use a text-to-speech tool, as well as translate the selected or clipboard text.
In addition, you can use various appendices that include a periodic table, calculator, traditional Chinese and simplified Chinese conversion tool, MD5 algorithm, abbreviations and irregular verbs. But this list can be managed and you can also create a new appendix.
Lingoes runs on a low-to-moderate amount of system resources, includes a step-by-step tutorial with snapshots and ran smoothly during our tests. We haven't come across any difficulties.
The bottom line is that Lingoes is an excellent dictionary and translation tool that provides you with quick and accurate solutions. We strongly recommend it to all user levels.
Here are some key features of "Lingoes":
Cross-translation over 80 languages:
· Lingoes offers text translation and dictionaries in over 60 languages in the world, it supports cross translation between different languages. These languages include English, French, German, Russian, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, Esperanto and more...
Text translation over 34 languages:
· The online translation service offered by Lingoes integrates the most advanced text translation engines in the world, including Systran, Promt, Cross, Yahoo, Google and Altavista, etc, which makes text translation unbelievably easy. You can freely choose these engines for your translation and compare the different results generated by different engines to help you understand the texts in languages which you are not familiar with. The languages include: English、French、German、Italian、Russian、Spanish、Portuguese、Dutch、Greek、Swedish、Chinese(S)、Chinese(T)、Japanese、Korean、Arabic、Vietnamese and more...
Ctrl + Right mouse button key for the cursor translation:
· You can translate words in any places of the screen by using the cursor translation function of Lingoes. Simply pressing Shift key, the system will automatically recognize the words selected by the cursor and display results. Now the cursor translator supports English, French, German、Russian, Spanish, Chinese, Japanese, Korean and more...
Translate selected text:
· Lingoes integrates cursor translator, looking-up in dictionaries and intelligent translation by creative "translate selected text". With selection of word or sentence in screen by cursor, it will translate as many as 23 languages of text into your native language. It's very convenient to use, we believe the new technology will change communication method among people.
Words and Texts Pronunciation:
· Lingoes provides the function of words and texts pronunciation based on the newest Test to Speech (TTS) engine, which can help you quickly learn the pronunciations of the words and is very convenient for study and memorizing.
Open management of dictionaries:
· The open management makes you easily download and install dictionaries according to you own needs, furthermore you can freely configure their arrangements and themselves.
Free dictionaries and thesauruses download:
· We are going to provide thousands of dictionaries in all kinds of languages and field for users to free download and use. Now these data are updating every day...
Online dictionaries and Wikipedia:
· Without local dictionaries, you can make use of online dictionary service and get more results. We also offer online encyclopedia, for instance Wikipedia with 9 languages and 3,500,000 articles.
· Include Currency Converter, International Dialing Codes, International Time Zone Converter, Weights & Measures Converter and more.
· IE6 or later
· Firefox 3
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Innovative zoned word translator can translate as many as 23 languages of text into your native language(or other language)
· Natural voice can perfectly pronounce word just like a native English speaker
· Provide plugin for Adobe Acrobat Pro
· Support cursor translator more fluently in Firefox 3
| ||Softpedia guarantees that Lingoes 2.9.1 is 100% CLEAN, which means it does not contain any form of malware, including spyware, viruses, trojans and backdoors. [read more >] |