Softpedia Editor's Review for QTranslate
Use Internet translation services to translate your text
Written by Gabriela Vatu on February 28th, 2013
If you’re not a native English speaker or often work with foreign languages, then a little help could come in handy. QTranslate is a small utility that can be of great help.
The program has a simple interface that should be quite easy to figure out, thanks to the intuitive layout.
Thus, whenever you want to know what a certain phrase means, you can use one of the available services, such as Google Translate, Microsoft Translator, Prompt, Babylon, SDL or Yandex.
You can insert text in the app by copying it into the upper field of the interface. The program can automatically detect the language used and translate it to a user-defined language.
Alternatively, you can select a text from any program and press a key combination (Ctrl + Q) to show the translation in the popup window, or to display it in the main window (Ctrl + W). These shortcuts can be modified from the program’s Options area.
QTranslate also comes with an integrated dictionary that lets you view extensive definitions for any word you want to look for.
Furthermore, the program can spell check the text as you type it down. Also, it comes with a virtual keyboard that lets you input any words straight from the screen of your computer, thus bypassing any keyloggers.
You may define the default auto-detect languages by filling in those you use most. A history log may be accessed at any time.
All in all, QTranslate is a nice tool that can be quite useful. Less experienced individuals should find it quite easy to handle, thanks to the intuitive layout.
Here are some key features of "QTranslate":
· Translate text in any application that supports text selection (Google Chrome, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Outlook, Acrobat Reader, Skype, IE etc.);
· Replace the selected text with its translation;
· Instant translation;
· Search in online dictionaries;
· Spell checking;
· Word suggestion/autocomplete;
· Virtual keyboard;
· Back translation;
· Internet connection
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· New: Ability to select several services for the translation (right mouse click on the service button)
· New: Ability to work only in selected applications (Options > Exceptions > choose Enabled for these programs)
· New: ABBYY Lingvo dictionary service
· New: fanyi.youdao.com translation service (Chinese language)
· New: Dictionary article for the Yandex translation service
· New: Bulgarian, Czech, Romanian and Serbian languages for the Yandex service
· New: Ability to hide the top pane in the main window
· New: Improved the dictionary usability
· New: Caching of the dictionary results
· New: Saving the contents of the main window on exit
· Updated: Application icons
· Updated: Default hot key for the dictionary is Win+Q
· Fixed: Unable to copy text from the popup window using the context menu