MapSphere combines together a lot of communication possibilities that can be used in a trip. They are instant messaging, chat, blog, and GPS position tracking.
You have the possibility of attaching any maps or other geographical data to MapSphere that are available as extensions.
The data is downloaded automatically while scrolling or zooming the map. It is stored locally on the hard drive, so you keep control over it. For example, you can download maps for some area and then work with them without internet connection.
Here are some key features of "MapSphere":
Extend the functionality of your GPS receiver by attaching it to MapSphere installed on your notebook. Live tracking of the current position and special information screens can make your travel easier:
· GeoPIM: tracks and waypoints
GeoPIM is a Personal Information Manager for geographical data like tracks and waypoints. It lets you organize, edit and process such data in collections, exchange them with your friends, view them on the map, gather useful statistics and so on:
· Virtual adventures
· MapSphere Online Services are created to support the MapSphere user community. You can observe other users moving on the earth globe in real time, communicate with your old friends and find new ones, walk together (virtually!) and discover the world, participate in the search of treasures hidden in the most interesting corners of our planet and try to get them
· Processor: Pentium 4 1.6GHz+ or AMD 1600 XP+
· Memory: 512 MB
· Hard Drive: 1 GB free space
· Network Speed: 128 Kbits/sec
· Graphics Card: 64 MB, DirectX 9.0 compatible
· Screen: 1280x1024, "32-bit True Color"
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Now you can upload photos with higher resolutions to MapSphere site. Along with old resolution 1024x768 you can also choose 1536x1152 or 2048x1536 in the Photo Geocoding dialog.
· MapSphere tries to automatically reconnect GPS if the connection was broken due to some reason.
· The Pause button was removed from the Area Download Progress dialog.
· The "OpenStreetMap (Osmarender) - Map" layer is not supported by its provider anymore. This layer is excluded from MapSphere setup.
· Fixed some rare errors in writing GPX XML files.
· Meters/feet were mixed in Options.
· Sometimes the contents of Geocaches list disappeared after applying "Restore default layout" command.
· A GPX file could remain blocked by MapSphere if reading its contents failed.
· Fixed some memory leaks and possible crashes.