Softpedia Editor's Review for Compact NFO Viewer
Popular viewer for text files containing ASCII Art and description files (NFO/DIZ/TXT)
Written by Elena Opris on March 27th, 2012
The NFO format refers to an ASCII text file most commonly used to provide release notes for a software program. The typical association for this file format is Notepad and while it manages to successfully display the information included in NFO files, a dedicated viewer can often provide a more compact and stylish panorama (especially if ASCII art is included).
One of the most appreciated utilities of this kind is Compact NFO Viewer, a small and portable utility that allows you to view NFO / DIZ / TXT files. It doesn’t require installation and features a simple interface and a few menus that offer quick access to opening / saving files.
Usage is simple: just open the browser and search for the respective NFO file (it instantly loads). If there are any links in the document, NFO viewer highlights them and makes them clickable. The Options menu enables you to set up the font and background color of the text and allows you to make the file read-only.
You can also opt to attach an Explorer Context Menu item in order to have faster access to the program. Another possibility is to directly associate all NFO files with this utility, so that when you double click them, they will open directly in Compact NFO Viewer.
All in all, this application is an efficient viewer for NFO files, but can process DIZ or TXT files as well. Its simplicity and ease of use makes it accessible to all audiences; game players and web developers especially can get a kick out of it.
Compact NFO Viewer description
Here are some key features of "Compact NFO Viewer":
· Instanlty load and display NFO files
· Compact, light, simple and flexible
· URL detection: The viewer automatically extracts hyperlinks addresses and shows them as clickable items
· Customizable appearance. You can set text/background colors and text font.
· Shell integration: the viewer can be set as the default application to open files with .nfo and .diz extensions.
· Unlimited file size. While other similar programs are limited at 512K, Dark NFO Viewer can open files on any size.
· Embedded help system (help as tooltips)
· 486 CPU
· 32MB RAM memory
· Less than 1MB free space on your hard drive