Softpedia Editor's Review for PCSX2
An useful and easy to use PS2 emulator
Written by Elena Opris on March 12th, 2012
A lot of users all over the world are familiarized with Playstation 2 and many of them spend countless hours playing a wide range of games on this platform. PCSX2 is a simple program that allows users to load their Playstation 2 games on the desktop PC, and let them fully enjoy their favorite titles.
PCSX2 is the kind of freeware that all hardcore gamers are looking for (especially when certain games are launched only for Playstation 2 but not for PCs). So this emulator grants them the opportunity of playing Playstation 2 games on the computer.
The installation process take a little while to complete, so let the freeware do its job. When you initiate the PCSX2, you can opt for one language out of several, and configure it accordingly.
In first-time configuration window you have the possibility to select resolution, renderer, interlacing, aspect ratio, D3D enhancements, texture filtering, gameplay controls, and many, many others (just make sure you thoroughly analyze each section when configuring it to ensure smooth software functioning).
One thing the needs to be mentioned is that in order to use PCSX2 you need to load the original BIOS of your Playstation, as it is illegal to use pirated copies in order to play games. If a genuine BIOS is not detected, the software does not get installed.
Once all the settings are correctly set up, you can take a break from your work or studies, and play an older game using this emulation software, while also benefiting from high speeds (if your computer supports it, of course).
· PS2 ROM
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Video timing adjustments
· microVU fixes for Metal Gear Solid 2 and others
· General speedups
· microVU speedup
· New GIF unit that mimics the real one better
· microVU elementary function bug fixed (affecting Valkyrie Profile 2, Radiata Stories and Star Ocean 3)
· Implemented Multi-Threaded VU! A new speed hack with almost 100% compatibility with games, using a third core to run the VU1 unit separately
· CDVD fixes (Time Crisis boots now)
· Added support for progressive scan timings
· Path 3 arbitration and timing refinements
· Added Finnish, Malaysian, Korean, French, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese and Polish translations
· Configurable output volume
· Fixes to reverb
· Various sound looping fixes
· Improved time stretcher
· Reverse phase audio quality improved
· Fixed RGB mode movie recording
· Texture cache change that fixes some black screening games
· Implemented NVidia FXAA 3.10, page up key activates it
· Better multithreading
· Arc the Lad bad fog fix
· Fixed shadows in software renderer