Softpedia Editor's Review for Skyscraper
Create your own buildings and experience them in full first-person 3D
Written by Elena Opris on February 14th, 2013
Skyscraper is an educational software application that lets you explore multiple types of buildings in a 3D environment, similar to a 3D video game. It can be used by students in architecture or constructions.
The interface of the application consists of two windows - one of them displays the building while the other is a Command Prompt window that shows logging details.
So, you can select one of the 25 building models, such as Eternity Plaza, Observation Tower, Palace Hotel, Sears Tower, and Simple (with multiple doors, glass elevator, basements, 500 floors etc).
A third window represents a simulator control panel where you can view technical information on the design, such as the current camera floor, position and rotation, number of elevators, clicked position and frame rate.
Plus, you can disable collision detection, gravity, elevator processing, automatic shafts and stairs, among others. In addition, you can view altitudes, enable or disable objects in real-time (global, per-floor, grouped), configure camera control options, edit elevator settings, check out simulator statistics, as well as use a script console and view object information.
The program runs on a moderate amount of system resources, has a good response time and worked smoothly during our tests. It takes a while for a 3D environment to load but that's normal. No error dialogs have popped up during our tests and Skyscraper did not freeze or crash. Unfortunately, there is no help file available and no recent updates have been made.
Here are some key features of "Skyscraper":
· Collision Detection
· Frame Limiter
· Process Elevators
· Automatic Shafts
· Automatic Stairs
· Framerate Sync
· 1 ghz cpu (2 ghz recommended)
· 512 megabytes RAM (2 gigabytes recommended)
· Video card with at least 32 megabytes of video RAM (64+ recommended)
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· elevators now report as available if on the same floor as the call and not moving, regardless of the door state - fixes an issue where pressing call buttons more than once would open additional elevators
· fixed TruncateNumber function, to return correct floating point precision without exponent
· dialog text box resizes
· remade queueresets feature
· floor announcement sound is now played along with the other arrival notifications, and so is affected by NotifyEarly
· up/down message sounds now play according to last chime direction
· elevator now chimes the previous chime direction if doors reopen (if applicable)
· turned off queue reversals if NotifyEarly is on
· added ReOpen elevator parameter
· added AutoEnable option to turn on and off automatic enabling/disabling of elevator interior objects
· added queue pending state flag - fixes issue where pressing both call buttons in a 2-elevator shaft would call the same elevator for both
· switched to standard elevator availability check for singl...