Windows Server 2008 description
A rock-solid server foundation that is secure, manageable, responsive, interoperable, and compatible
The Windows Server 2008 will helps IT professionals to increase the flexibility and reliability of their server infrastructure while offering developers a more robust web and applications platform for building connected applications and services.
This software is for evaluation and testing purposes. Evaluating any version of Windows Server 2008 R2 software does not require entering a product key, however will require activation within 10 days. Failing to activate the evaluation will cause the licensing service to shut the machine down every hour (The 10 day activation period can be reset five (5) times by using the rearm command. See below for further information on activation rearm). After this time, you will need to uninstall the evaluation software and reinstall a fully-licensed version of Windows Server 2008 R2.
How to manually rearm the 10 day activation grace period
When the initial 10-day activation period nears its end, you can run the Slmgr.vbs script to reset it back to 10 days. To do this, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, and then click Command Prompt.
2. Type slmgr.vbs -dli, and then press ENTER to check the current status of your activation period.
3. To reset the activation period, type slmgr.vbs –rearm, and then press ENTER.
4. Restart the computer.
This resets the activation period to 10 days, and can be used up to five times. After this you will need to either activate or reinstall the evaluation.
Microsoft Windows Server 2008, with built-in web and virtualization technologies, is designed to provide organizations with increased reliability and flexibility for their server infrastructure. New virtualization tools, web technologies, and security enhancements help save time, reduce costs, and provide a platform for a dynamic datacenter.
Powerful new tools like Internet Information Server 7.0 (IIS7), Windows Server Manager, and Windows PowerShell, offer more control over servers and streamline web, configuration, and management tasks.
Advanced security and reliability enhancements like Network Access Protection and the Read-Only Domain Controller harden the operating system and protect the server environment to help create a solid foundation on which to build businesses.
Here are some key features of "Windows Server 2008":
· A rock-solid server foundation that is secure, manageable, responsive, interoperable, and compatible
· A platform that supports rapid development and delivery of smart and connected applications
· Agility, to increase operational efficiency and IT effectiveness
· Policy-based networking, improved branch management, and enhanced end-user collaboration
· An application platform that provides flexible solutions, connected systems, and rich user experiences
· A platform that provides a more secure and reliable IT infrastructure, to help organizations meet project objectives on time and within budget, allowing staff to focus on priorities important to the company
· Single processor with 1.4 GHz (x64 processor) or 1.3GHz (Dual Core)
· Minimum 512 MB RAM
· Display: Super VGA (800 × 600) or higher resolution monitor
· You may evaluate Windows Server 2008 R2 free for 60 days