BabelPad Portable was created as an useful and user-friendly Unicode text editor that provides you with the possibility to properly render complex scripts.
The program allows you to assign different fonts to different scripts in order to facilitate multi-script text editing.
Here are some key features of "BabelPad Portable":
Open files encoded as:
· Unicode: UTF-8
· Unicode: UTF-16 (Big Endian or Little Endian)
· Unicode: UTF-32 (Big Endian or Little Endian)
· Unicode: UTF-7
· Unicode: CESU-8
· Unicode 1.0: UCS-2
· Unicode 1.1: UCS-2
· Unicode 1.1: UTF-7
· ISO-8859-1 (Latin1): Western European
· ISO-8859-2 (Latin2): Non-Cyrillic Central European
· ISO-8859-3 (Latin3): Esperanto, Galician, Maltese, Turkish
· ISO-8859-4 (Latin4): Baltic Rim
· ISO-8859-5 (Cyrillic)
· ISO-8859-6 (Arabic)
· ISO-8859-7 (Greek)
· ISO-8859-8 (Hebrew)
· ISO-8859-9 (Latin5): Improved Turkish
· ISO-8859-10 (Latin6): Inuit, Lappish
· ISO-8859-11 (Thai)
· ISO-8859-13 (Latin7): Improved Baltic Rim
· ISO-8859-14 (Latin8): Celtic
· ISO-8859-15 (Latin9, a.k.a. Latin0): Improved Western European
· ISO-8859-16 (Latin10): South-Eastern European
· Windows CP 874 (Thai)
· Windows CP 932 (extension of Shift-JIS): Japanese
· Windows CP 936 (extension of GB2312): Simplified Chinese
· Windows CP 949 (Unified Hangul Code): Korean
· Windows CP 950 (extension of Big5): Traditional Chinese
· Windows CP 1133 (Lao)
· Windows CP 1250 (East European)
· Windows CP 1251 (Cyrillic)
· Windows CP 1252 (West European)
· Windows CP 1253 (Greek)
· Windows CP 1254 (Turkish)
· Windows CP 1255 (Hebrew)
· Windows CP 1256 (Arabic)
· Windows CP 1257 (Baltic)
· Windows CP 1258 (Vietnamese)
· EUC-JA (Japanese)
· EUC-KR (Korean)
· GB18030 (Extended Chinese): Unicode-mapped superset of GB2312
· GB2312 (Simplified Chinese)
· Big5 (Traditional Chinese)
· Big5-HKSCS (Big5 plus Hong Kong Supplementary Character Set)
· Shift-JIS (Japanese)
· JIS X 0201 (Latin plus Katakana)
· JIS X 0208 (Japanese)
· KSC 5601 (KS X 1001) (Korean)
· Wansung (Korean)
· Johab (Korean)
· KOI8-R (Russian)
· KOI8-U (Ukranian)
· ARMSCII-8 (Armenian)
· VISCII (Vietnamese)
· VIQR (Vietnamese Quoted Readable)
· TIS-620 (Thai)
· Mulelao-1 (Lao)
· TSCII (Tamil)
· TAM (Tamil Monolingual)
· TAB (Tamil Bilingual)
· I.S. 434 (Ogham)
· Autodetects Unicode encoding forms and character sets declared in HTML or XML documents.
· Automatically convert CR/LF, CR, LF, Line Separator and Paragraph Separator characters.
· Option to convert Numeric Character References (NCR) and/or Universal Character Names (UCN) to Unicode characters on Open.
Save the current document as:
· Unicode: UTF-8 (with or without a Byte Order Mark)
· Unicode: UTF-16 Big Endian or Little Endian (with or without a Byte Order Mark)
· Unicode: UTF-32 Big Endian or Little Endian (with or without a Byte Order Mark)
· GB18030 (with or without a Byte Order Mark)
· ASCII with Hexadecimal Numeric Character Reference (NCR) substitution of non Basic Latin characters
· ASCII with Decimal Numeric Character Reference (NCR) substitution of non Basic Latin characters
· ASCII with Universal Character Name (UCN) substitution of non Basic Latin characters
· ASCII with HTML Entity substitution of non Basic Latin characters
· Left-To-Right (LTR) or Right-To-Left (RTL) page layout.
· Line Wrap mode or No Line Wrap mode.
· Drag and Drop editing.
· Multiple Undo/Redo.
· Indent and Unindent selected lines of text using TAB and Shift-TAB.
· Option to Auto-Indent text as you type (useful for writing code).
· Select a "word" by double-clicking and navigate by "word" by means of the left/right arrows (works for most Unicode scripts).
· Select a line of text by left-clicking in the margin (select a paragraph by double-clicking in the margin).
· Find and Replace functions.
· Select default font and font size from dropdown list on the toolbar.
· Configure individual Unicode blocks to always use a particular font regardless of which font is currently selected for default display.
· Status Bar displays codepoint and Unicode name of the character at the current caret position.
· For CJK ideographs the status bar also displays the Mandarin, Korean or Vietnamese reading for the character at the current caret position (choice of reading is user-selectable).
· Able to open and edit very large (multi-megabyte) files with little degredation in performance.
· Standard printing functionality enabled.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Improved the font auto-configuration function (although still far from perfect).
· Added a warning to the font configuration dialog if Cambria Math or any other Math font is mapped to the Basic Latin block.
· Separated the BabelMap cut and copy functions into separate plain text and RTF cut and copy functions, and added an option to specify whether the cut and copy buttons copy as plain text or RTF text.
· Added new keyboard shortcuts for BabelMap: Ctrl+B goes to the Unicode Blocks dropdown list; Ctrl+F goes to Font dropdown list; Ctrl+S goes to search box (was Ctrl+F in the beta version)
· Fixed a bug in BabelPad which causes a crash in the batch replace utility under certain circumastances.
· Fixed a bug in BabelPad that causes incorrect scrolling after returning from browser mode.