BabelMap Portable description
Handy tool for searching Unicode characters
BabelMap Portable was created as an useful character map software that allows you to browse through the entire Unicode character repertoire.
BabelMap Portable can also be used to search for a particular character by name or codepoint.
Within the software users will be able to copy specific characters to the clipboard for later use.
Here are some key features of "BabelMap Portable":
· Unicode Character Grid showing all 110,181 assigned characters and 137,468 private use characters in Unicode 5.2.
· Select any Unicode block in Planes 0, 1, 2, 14, 15 and 16 from a dropdown list.
· View characters in the edit buffer as Unicode characters or as NCR or UCN entities.
· Browse the entire Unicode character repertoire using a single font, or use a user-defined virtual composite font which maps particular Unicode blocks to particular fonts (ability to save and load different composite font mappings).
· Paste Unicode text from the clipboard into the edit buffer (any NCR codes will be automatically converted to Unicode characters).
· Magnify any character in the Unicode Character Grid by right-clicking on it.
· Find a character by Unicode hexadecimal or decimal codepoint value.
· Search (backwards and forwards through the Unicode Grid) for characters by full or partial name.
· Browse through Unicode Grid by plane, block or page of 128 characters.
· For CJK Unified Ideographs blocks, browse by radical.
· Cantonese, Mandarin, Korean or Vietnamese readings displayed for currently selected CJK unified ideograph (choice of language to show is user selectable).
· Copy selected characters to clipboard, for inserting into any Unicode application.
· Save selected characters to file in UTF-8, UTF-16 (Big or Little Endian) or UTF-32 (Big or Little Endian) encoding.
· Choice of two sizes of dialogue boxes available (small-sized dialogue boxes particularly suitable for 800x600 screen resolutions).
· Optional colour coding of characters according to a specified Unicode property (General Category, Canonical Combining Class, Bidi Class, Bidi Mirrored, Decomposition Type, Numeric Type), Script or Unicode Version.
Open a Properties dialogue box for the selected character, which shows:
· Version of Unicode in which the character was first introduced
· Unicode properties for the character (including Name, Formal Alias, Unicode 1 Name, General Category, Canonical Combining Class, Bidi Class, Decomposition Type & Decomposition Mapping, Numeric Type & Numeric Value, Bidi Mirrored flag, Uppercase Mapping, Lowercase Mapping, Titlecase Mapping, and Line Breaking property)
· Unicode Code Chart annotations for the character (general notes, aliases and cross-references)
· All defined Standardized Variant and Ideographic Variant sequences for the character
· Any CJK (Chinese/Japanese/Korean) data for the character; currently Cantonese jyutpping, Mandarin pinyin, Korean "Yale" and Vietnamese quốc ngữ (or VIQR) readings are provided
· Open any uninstalled font files from file, for viewing in the current instance of BabelMap only.
· Bookmark up to 32 characters for quick access.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Improved the font auto-configuration function (although still far from perfect).
· Added a warning to the font configuration dialog if Cambria Math or any other Math font is mapped to the Basic Latin block.
· Separated the BabelMap cut and copy functions into separate plain text and RTF cut and copy functions, and added an option to specify whether the cut and copy buttons copy as plain text or RTF text.
· Added new keyboard shortcuts for BabelMap: Ctrl+B goes to the Unicode Blocks dropdown list; Ctrl+F goes to Font dropdown list; Ctrl+S goes to search box (was Ctrl+F in the beta version)
· Fixed a bug in BabelPad which causes a crash in the batch replace utility under certain circumastances.
· Fixed a bug in BabelPad that causes incorrect scrolling after returning from browser mode.