Softpedia Editor's Review for Portable UltraDefrag
A portable, powerful defragmentation tool.
Written by Elena Opris on February 21st, 2013
This is the portable version of UltraDefrag, a lightweight but powerful application which you can use to defragment your hard drive, in order to boost the performance level of your computer.
Since installation is not necessary, you can store the app on a removable device (like a USB flash drive), save it to any computer and directly run its executable file. More importantly, there are no files left behind on the hard drive or in the Windows Registry after program removal.
The interface of the program is plain and easy to work with. So, you can select a volume and submit it for analysis, in order to view a graphical representation of the fragmented and compressed files, along with the total number or files folders and MFT size.
The file queue shows the status, fragmentation percentage, total and free space, as well as free space percentage for each volume. So, you can either defragment the disc, perform a quick or full optimization, or optimize the MFT.
In addition, you can make the app skip removable media and to rescan or repair the drives, view a report, and set a post-task action (e.g. exit program, reboot computer). From the 'Settings' menu, you can switch to a different language and font for the interface, and enable boot time scan.
The software application requires a moderate quantity of CPU and system memory, has a good response time, includes a help file, and takes a reasonable amount of time to finish a defragmentation task, depending on the size of your volumes.
We have not experienced any issues during our testing; UltraDefrag did not freeze, crash or pop up error dialogs. All in all, the app represents a simple solution to optimizing the hard disc, for users of any experience level.
Portable UltraDefrag description
Here are some key features of "Portable UltraDefrag":
· Very fast defragmentation, the work is done via a kernel mode driver which has an optimal defraging algorithm.
· Very small engine written in pure C.
· Nice graphical interface - compact and functional.
· Safety, because the file moving is accomplished with Microsoft's own Defrag API.
· Simple to use.
· Ability to generate html reports of fragmentation status.
· Ability to include/exclude files based on simple filters.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· the FAQ section of the handbook now contains information about how to set up v6 to optimize similarly to v5
· the Explorer context menu is now reduced to a single entry with sub-menu on Windows 7 and above
· the following translations were updated: Albanian, Danish, Filipino (Tagalog), Indonesian (Bahasa Indonesia), Javanese, Polish, Portuguese (BR)