Softpedia Editor's Review for Portable VirtuaWin
Increase the number of desktops of your PC
Written by Gabriela Vatu on March 1st, 2013
While it is not always advisable to keep large numbers of icons on the desktop as the system runs slower than usual, you can better organize the screen by creating virtual desktops.
Portable VirtuaWin is a small tool that was designed to create several virtual desktops. The app has a simple interface that proved to be quite easy to handle.
The program lets you create up to nine different desktops. You may customize these to the smallest details. For instance, they can be named and their layout configured.
Hotkeys can be set for all the desktops. For instance, you can press a key combination to move left, right, up or down, to return to the previous desktop or to go to the next one. While some hotkeys are already in place, they can easily be modified to suit your needs.
It’s also possible to change the desktop with the help of the mouse, by simply dragging the edge.
Some advanced features are available as well. For instance, the program’s icon can be hidden from view and the minimized windows hidden when the desktop changes.
Since the app is portable, it doesn’t need to be installed to the computer and can be launched from removable devices, such as flash drives.
All in all, Portable VirtuaWin is a nice tool that can come in handy if you want to expand the abilities of your computer. Less experienced users should find this app easy to work with, thanks to the intuitive layout.
Portable VirtuaWin description
Here are some key features of "Portable VirtuaWin":
· Configurable key/mouse control
· Small, fast and easy to use, "just the needed stuff"
· Supports user defined icons
· Can keep an active window on every desktop
· Can set windows sticky to make them appear on all desktops
· Configurable layout of virtual desktops, up to 9 desktops
· Supports modules for additional features
· Can save applications desktop belongings and restore them upon restart
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Added dynamic taskbar support for Win7
· Implemented boss & unboss key
· Fixed activation of minimized window when not hiding them.
· Fixed title bar redraw issue caused by toggling TOOLWIN flag
· Implemented own FindWindow and improved module start-up reliability
· Changed action of Module Enable/Disable button to start module
· Improved code getting a window icon, getting icon from app first
· Updated hotkey list when setup is applied as changes may effect it
· Handled explorer exiting so middle mouse button still works
· Added message VW_INVERTY to return invert Up/Down setting
· Added Reapply window rules hotkey and module interface
· Added Automatically close window option to Window rule dialog
· Fixed problem with middle clicking on opera tabs opening VW menu
· Fixed problem with 'stickies' windows being automatically grouped